Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting decent Wifi in the basement Powerline and Plusnet Hub One

FIXED
steveedavies
Hooked

Getting decent Wifi in the basement Powerline and Plusnet Hub One

I've had to shift my home office down to the basement, so I only get about 2 bars on the wifi (normally download at 300mbs and decent upload but it's gone to about half of that).

I was going to get a powerline kit that can do 300mbs+, but I have 3 devices that I would like to to via ethernet.  Do I need to buy another hub, or can I use my old Plusnet Hub One as a hub?  Do you know if it can deal with 300mbs download? How would I set up my old hub to do this?

Thanks!!

12 REPLIES 12
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Re: Getting decent Wifi in the basement Powerline and Plusnet Hub One

Fix

@steveedavies 

Do you know if it can deal with 300mbs download?

Very unlikely, read this for more information: https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Powerline-Unit-Performance/m-p/1607450.... If possible run an Ethernet cable down to your office.

To turn a Hub One into an Access point see: https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-a-2nd-Plusnet-Hub1-as-a-Wireless-Access-point/m-p/1385..., You need to plug this into the Powerline device/Ethernet cable using one of the Ethernet sockets NOT the WAN.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

steveedavies
Hooked

Thank you Baldrick!

Baldrick1

@steveedavies 

To clarify, the Hub One can handle 300Mbps as an access point/Ethernet switch, the choke will be the Powerline link and any wireless connections to either hub.

Moderator and Customer

steveedavies
Hooked

Gotcha, I just need to get a wire down like you said.

Baldrick1

@steveedavies 

Excellent solution, two more points, sorry if I’m stating the obvious..

You need to use CAT5e or better Ethernet cable.

If the easiest route is external then make sure that you use exterior grade cable. As I have recently learnt the hard way, the outer jacket of indoor cable disintegrates if directly exposed to UV..

Moderator and Customer

steveedavies
Hooked

It's definately internal but yes thanks for the reminder about CAT5e. I am going to need something like 65/70ft cable.

This might be the bad boy I need!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Snagless-Ethernet-Network-Compatible-Consoles-Grey/dp/B08DCQXRQD/ref=asc_df...

Ian06
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I am no expert but if it were me I would avoid "CCA - Copper Clad Aluminum (CCA) conductors" and use full copper cables... but I am sure more knowledgeable members will comment.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@steveedavies  Your link is for a patch cable ( a very long one ), these are flexible cables generally used to connect from wall mounted ethernet (RJ45) sockets to PCs or other devices and are usually a few metres long. As they are flexible they are not particularly robust but may well do the job.

The preferred method for a permanent ethernet link is to use structured cabling which has solid copper cores and is fixed with ethernet sockets as previously mentioned at each end with short patch cables to the devices.

Baldrick1

@steveedavies 

I agree with @Ian06, CCA (copper coated aluminium) cable should be avoided if possible. If it were me I would do the job 'properly' and permanently install unterminated cable between the two locations, terminating each end in a fixed Ethernet outlet. This is not difficult if you have some basic DIY skills. You then use flexible patch leads each end to connect to your Hubs.

This will cost you more and take longer to install but it makes a neat and permanent job of it. Do ask if you need further advice with this option.

Edit

My post crossed with that of @RealAleMadrid who is clearly of the same opinion.

Moderator and Customer

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 405

@steveedavies here you go , complete kit https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300879150144?itmmeta=01HQZYWG9KKCBJDQ9K306HW5GN&hash=item460dcb7c40:g:juw...

I'd also get a network tester https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201534977269?itmmeta=01HQZZ2924X3KTFMWJJRRTFT04&hash=item2eec6bb4f5:g:Er8...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

greygit1
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

"outer jacket of indoor cable disintegrates if directly exposed to UV"

That's quite likely down to the plastics used for the sheathing. Some plastics are rather susceptble to degredation when exposed to parts of the EM spectrum that the human eye doesn't/cannot detect.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/sheathing

steveedavies
Hooked

Thanks for all your help! Got it all set up and working - surprising how easy it was!giphy.gif