Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VoIP question

greygit1
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

VoIP question

I use a VoIP connected phone number. I recently tried calling a number that was PSTN connected (but has been ceased).

I received an 'engaged' tone.

I also called the same number using a mobile phone and got a 'number unobtainable' tone.

I was assuming that a number which doesn't currently have a 'path' to it would get a 'number unobtainable' tone.

Could there be something misconfigured in the VoIP related equipment in my home/premises? Could there be something misconfigured in the VoIP related equipment in VoIP provider's network?

Did I mistakenly assume that a number which doesn't currently have a 'path' to it would get a 'number unobtainable' tone?

Anything else?

10 REPLIES 10
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 405

Re: VoIP question

Could be either your equipment or the voip suupliers. You would need to look at the received SIP response code ( using something like wireshark )

It's all defined here https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc3666/

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

greygit1
Aspiring Pro

My equipment came pre-configured by the VoIP supplier so I suppose I'll be talking to A&A.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@greygit1 since you're with A & A you should be able to see the SIP response codes from the control panel.

Login to your control panel and look at the call detail records (CDR) https://support.aa.net.uk/VoIP_-_CDRs

The SIP response codes should be shown against each call. Let us know what they are .

If they show differently for 'unobtainable' vs 'busy' then the problem is in your local equipment , otherwise if they are the same then its down to the A & A kit.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

greygit1
Aspiring Pro

SIP response codes are only displayed in that output if the call fails to connect (for what ever reason)?

180 !

(whatever that really means)

greygit1
Aspiring Pro

Local equipment. Since it is the phone that leaves the VoIP stuff  which was supplied pre-configured by A&A. I've only changed p/w on that. The rest I just looked at. And scratched my head. Or...

It could be down to how the Hub2 plays. Or how the Hub2 might get upset if it were reconfigured away from its defaults. (Even if those reconfigs/changes are technically correct and the Hub2 is happy to accept those changes).

I can revert the Hub2 back to its defaults and see whether these symptoms go away.

At the moment I can't see it being the switches. Unless they're telling me porkies.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

SIP response codes are only displayed in that output if the call fails to connect (for what ever reason)?

180 !

(whatever that really means)

180 is 'ringing'

I thought you said the calls in question didn't connect ? so they should have SIP response codes

Full list of codes here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_SIP_response_codes

It could be down to how the Hub2 plays. Or how the Hub2 might get upset if it were reconfigured away from its defaults. (Even if those reconfigs/changes are technically correct and the Hub2 is happy to accept those changes).

Its nothing to do with the Hub 2. The tone that the voip equipment makes is completely down to the SIP response code it receives.

greygit1
Aspiring Pro

Mmm. I misread the A&A webpage.

With a clearer mind I can now see that recent attempts to call the number are not listed, so I can't see the call attempt (let alone any related SIP code).

The tone heard on the handset is an engaged tone (which cycles 4 times before the call is terminated)

Just to make things ever more clear (?) - The handset display showing "Not found" for the number.

(Tried 123 as another test and that returns an engaged tone with the handset display showing "Not available")

I'm wondering whether it is a 'feature' of the handset(s).

greygit1
Aspiring Pro

It isn't a feature of the handsets as far as I can work out. It also doesn't appear to be a feature of the other supplied and preconfigured hardware supplied by A&A.

Might it be a 'feature' of the landline number being transferred to VoIP and associated porting?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Might it be a 'feature' of the landline number being transferred to VoIP and associated porting?

Sorry, I'm confused now ?Huh

In the initial post you said

I recently tried calling a number that was PSTN connected (but has been ceased).

Are you now saying the number has been ported to voip ?

greygit1
Aspiring Pro

This is a voyage of discovery for me.

The number was PSTN and (possibly) ceased when an account was closed. But it may also now be in the process of being migrated to VoIP, but hasn't been (yet).

TBH I'm just as confused Smiley