cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuring Asus RT-AX86u Router for Full Fibre installation

TobyDSC
Hooked

Configuring Asus RT-AX86u Router for Full Fibre installation

Just in case it helps anyone on this forum, here is a screenshot of the key settings I had to adjust on my router today to get it to connect direct to the Openreach ONT box as I did not want to use the Plusnet hub.

The key thing is to select PPPoE internet settings and enter your Plusnet username (+"@plusdsl.net") and password, as indicted on the screenshot, but it might be worth carefully checking all the other selections on the screenshot which worked for me.

All now working very well on the 300/50 Plusnet package.

Best wishes

TobyDSC

Asus RT-AX86u WAN settingsAsus RT-AX86u WAN settings

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Configuring Asus RT-AX86u Router for Full Fibre installation

Does your router support jumbo frames ? - to get that WAN MTU up to 1500 to match your Openreach connection.

Also if it was mine, I would "Enable DNS Rebind protection", unless you've got a good reason not to.

Otherwise, thanks for posting !  😃

TobyDSC
Hooked

Thank you for this.

Yes, the Asus setup does indeed have an option for Jumbo Frames so I'll look into this.

DNS Rebind protection looks like a good idea too. Thanks for pointing this out.

With kind regards
Anonymous
Not applicable

Elsewhere, have you got  "Adaptive QoS"  enabled ?

You can test if that is working by running this - https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat 

and ensure your "Bufferbloat Grade" is "A+" or "A", and that your latency figures are in single digits.

This is mine on FTTC, using a pfSense router (WAN MTU=1500) and PPPoE connected Draytek 130 modem -

Screenshot 2022-09-02 at 16-14-11 Bufferbloat and Internet Speed Test - Waveform.png

TobyDSC
Hooked

Ooh, i do love a good tech nerd-out, thank you!

Yes, I did use the Asus Adaptive QoS on the FTTC connection but so far (day 2) with the greater bandwidth of FTTP it hasn't seemed necessary. So it's off at the moment but an option if it becomes necessary and I need it for important video meetings or whatever.

One of the main reasons i went for the Asus setup is the AIMesh (wired) mesh setup. I have a separate cheaper router to act as a node for downstairs areas and a third covering a small summer house outside. You can bind some of the clients to specific nodes (eg Google speakers, groups and stereo pairs work best when bound to a stable node) while phones and tablets can hop from one to the next seemlessly as you move around the house - or outside. This all seems to be working very much more smoothly with the new FTTP connection too. So far so good!

DNS Rebind protection is now switched on, thank you.

geolykos

I'm not a PlusNet customer yet but I'm switching from BT next month. How do you get the username/pswd combo? Does PlusNet provide it when you sign up? With BT i would use the generic bthomehub@btbroadband.com.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 258

@geolykos Yes they do. It is in the form of 'yourusername@plusdsl.net' and the password you choose when signing up.

John
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 3

I signed up for a new account recently and was asked what account name I wanted, so try to think of something you want and "might" be available.

Can't recall about the password, if they asked me to suggest one or they set it initially, but I changed it anyway once my account was set up.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 405

How do you get the username/pswd combo?

You choose the username (accountname) when you sign up. I'm pretty sure you choose the password as well but its been so long since I went through the process that I can't remember!.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 258

Unless it has changed since I signed up 14+ years ago, you choose both of them.

John