Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filezilla FTP issue

FIXED
Brugmansia
Dabbler

Filezilla FTP issue

The PlusNet instructions to set up this FTP client don't recognise the message, "Insecure server, it does not support FTP over TLS." appears whenever you try to connect to the website server. Furthermore, the free version of the software does not have an option to access a, "General", tab on the settings menu where various web site sources indicate TLS can be turned on. Is this an issue with the free version of Filezilla or what?

I'm only a novice and simply wish to upload a personal website created in the now obsolete Muse but I would like to overcome this issue with a member's help.

8 REPLIES 8
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Filezilla FTP issue

What FTP space are you trying to use? The Plusnet Homepages servers?

Open Filezilla, click File > Site Manager, and configure the server access as below (replacing 'username' with your Plusnet username): -

pn_ftp.jpg

When you try and connect, you will need to accept the warning about plain FTP.

Anything uploaded to the remote server will need to be under the 'htdocs' directory.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Brugmansia
Dabbler

Thank you so much for your prompt advice - most welcomed.
You've restored my faith in that I've done all you suggested but stopped when I got the warning message about the connection being insecure!
How bad is that insecurity and can it be improved ?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

The Homepages platform doesn't support FTP over TLS which is why Filezilla is grumbling. I don't know of any plan to enable it either.

You can think of it like entering information into a website form that runs over http://, rather than https://

i.e. the data being sent backwards and forwards isn't encrypted so in theory can be intercepted/read by somebody/something else. 

If you trust everybody connected to your home network/router, then the liklihood of this happening 'out on the Internet' is probably very slim, but it's not impossible.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Brugmansia
Dabbler

Thank you Bob.
I'll have to take the risk!
Your help much appreciated.
samgregkt1
Dabbler

I've configured the settings as suggested & I still can't connect.  

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Status: Plain FTP is insecure. Please switch to FTP over TLS.
Command: USER supanet6
Response: 331 Password required for supanet6
Command: PASS ************
Response: 530 Login incorrect.
Error: Critical error: Could not connect to server

Ideas please everyone

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@samgregkt1 - that response is fairly explicit in rejecting your login credentials. Have you ever been able to connect?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Just to add to what Bob said, in theory yes your connection is insecure. Anybody at a datacentre or plusnet/BT could potentially intercet it and copy your login credentials and login as you etc.

But in reality, it's not that likely to happen. First of all the attacker would need to know a bit about your site configuration, they'd need to know a bit about you (eg the network you connect from, your IP) etc etc. The reailty is that while it can (and does) happen, its a slim percentage of FTP servers that are breached. Many FTP servers recognise brute force attacks and will refuse connection attempts automatically so to have a half decent chance the attacker would have to monitor your internet connection directly - either via the network (not easy) of by installing something on your PC such as a keylogger and again, unless they can trick you into downloading and installing it, that's not easy either.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
samgregkt1
Dabbler

I'm able to transfer the files using an old Windows 10 laptop but the issue is when trying to transfer from a laptop using Windows11.