cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do I need to connect an office 100m away on shared electrical supply to hub 2 router?

dukesvet

Why do I need to connect an office 100m away on shared electrical supply to hub 2 router?

I’m not a techie so need simple advice please. I have 3 locations all on the same electrical supply but not in the same building to connect. I am going to get a Hub 2 router and full fibre 900mb broadband package. Potentially I could cable between the access points but not easily. Can I use the electrical system and plug something in. What sort of speeds might I get and can I create 3 Wi-Fi zones?  Gif I used supplies from 2 different supplies through 2 different electricity meters how do I set up the connections then? Thank you

10 REPLIES 10
corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

Re: Why do I need to connect an office 100m away on shared electrical supply to hub 2 router?

When you say 2 different electricity meters, so you mean you have 2 connections from the grid, or do you mean you have a sub-meter (not the electricity company's) for your office?

If the former then you won't be able to use powerline adapters, and in the latter case results may be slower than you want. In the past I have used powerline adapters to go about 150 yds through 4 distribution boards, so it is possible. But the speed was less than 20Mbps - which was fine at the time as I only had a 10Mbps broadband connection. As you have a 900Mbps connection you probably want better speed. 

Two possibilities I'd suggest are point-to-point 5G WiFi (they can work over several miles) to a router in the office, or a cable link. Ethernet can cover 100m at gigabit speed, but that's about the limit. And you need to consider electrical earthing issues - different buildings may have different electrical earth potential, and it is possible to damage equipment that way. Optical fibre connection is safer, but a bit more involved as you need routers/adapters that provide optical connections.

dukesvet

Re: Why do I need to connect an office 100m away on shared electrical supply to hub 2 router?

Thank you. In my original post why should have been what! Something to do with spell check? Anyway your advice is much appreciated. I am looking at installing some sort of point to point wireless signalling system which should hopefully solve the issue. Unfortunately there is a building in the way so this might block the signal so I’m also going to investigate if a relay to go round this is possible. 

Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 13

If this is a Commercial setup then you really need to talk to a Professional installer. Given what you've said there's lots of options but most  will not deliver what you're expecting and potentially be a big waste  of your hard earned cash...............

dukesvet

That's pretty much the conclusion I have come to.  Sometimes going around a problem is not always cheapest, easiest or the best solution.  I'm just going to get a digger in, dig a 150m trench from the BT connection and have fibre direct into the office which is where it is needed.  In the end this will probably be the cheapest and undoubtedly best solution! Thank you

Champnet
Aspiring Hero

Sounds like a plan, good luck....

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 50

@Champnet 

You don't say if the OR connection is your house or another office. If it is the house then put the fibre connection there (for future) and use Cat6 ethernet to the office.

Lay ducting and put a Toby box at either end. The ethernet cable can then be pulled through and the duct is still available for other use.

Brian

Champnet
Aspiring Hero

Ref @dukesvet 

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 50

@Champnet 

Sorry - tagged the wrong post.

Brian

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

@dukesvet wrote:

That's pretty much the conclusion I have come to.  Sometimes going around a problem is not always cheapest, easiest or the best solution.  I'm just going to get a digger in, dig a 150m trench from the BT connection and have fibre direct into the office which is where it is needed.  In the end this will probably be the cheapest and undoubtedly best solution! Thank you

I was just going to suggest that to you myself - we often recommend diggers and trenches around here! lol

On a serious note, good luck! Not often we get to hear of other people undertaking such large tasks like yours!

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
dukesvet

Thanks.  Ducting is in, just waiting for Open Reach to come back!