Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gmail password not being recognised

Tykebike
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Gmail password not being recognised

Hello everyone,

This last couple of days I've been having problems trying to send & receive emails on my gmail account when using Outlook 2013 on my Windows 10 machine. I have not had any problems with it on my Mac Mini M2 , Macbook pro or Android phone.

I have no problems sending and receiving using Outlook 2013 for my f9 email account

Whenever I select the gmail account I get the message:

Your IMPA server wants to alert you to the following: Applicaction specific password required@

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833 (failure)

So when I try to check the values in the dialogue box Internet E mail -username@gmail.com 

Server: imap.gmail.com

Username xxxxxx@gmail.com

Password *************

I get nowhere I think because the password is not recognised. I've checked that the password should be the same as the one I use to log into my Google account and over the last few days I've tried various ones to the point of exhaustion to see if that solves the problem but it doesn't. I know for a fact that I am entering it correctly and it works fine on both Macs.

Can anyone help please?

5 REPLIES 5
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Gmail password not being recognised

I use an old version of Outlook too (2007) and yes, you do have to use an Application-specific password.

Go to your Google account and use help to identify how to generate one. Once generated and applied/remembered in Outlook it will work indefinitely AFAIK.

PS THE CLUE IS IN THE NAME! It's NOT your normal Google password, it's SPECIFIC TO THE APPLICATION!

Just realised, the Google link you posted tells you EXACTLY how to do it. RTFM!

Tykebike
Grafter

Thanks for your reply. I did have a specific password written in my book (yes I know I shouldn't have but theyve never been seen in an attack!) but that didn't work

I can now see the link works but earlier I couln't get it to work on another machine - perhaps it was being blocked by one of my security blockers - hmmmmm.

I'll investigate further but wonder why it suddenly stops working for no apparent reason - to me at least.

Tykebike
Grafter

According to Google security I have no app passwords and cannot see how to add one as there is nothing even at the bottom of the page as other people have suggested. 

I've deleted two step authentication as I find it a PITA as I do not have my phone welded to me so when I keep logging in on devices in different locations the text is sent to my phone in the other location; whilst this keeps me fit in collecting in I am thoroughly [-Censored-] off by the end of the day.

Anyway, that didn't work either so I'm going to delete the account from Outlook check for mail on my other devices or directly with Gmail.

Moderators Note: Avoidance of swear filter removed as per Forum rules

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 3

Well that's just the way Google run things, so you can choose to comply or not use their services.

They will generally ONLY support older (they deem insecure) Apps using an App password, which they will only provide if you use two-step authentication.

The choice is up to you, at least you now know the constraints. Though I expect they will only tighten over time.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from email to  tech help

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'