cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Routers

bigalxyz
Hooked

Plusnet Routers

I've been a Plusnet customer for 9 years (~75Mbit/s FTTC). Currently running a Plusnet Hub One with c. 12 devices connected to it - various wired/2.4GHz/5GHz devices.

I've given separate names to the 2.4GHz and 5GHz wi-fi networks (by default they're the same).

The router's about 6 or 7 years old I think.

I think it might be faulty. In particular it keeps having problems connecting to my home NAS (wired connection) - I can fix it by restarting the router, but it's annoying. A factory reset hasn't fixed the problem.

I've seen that there's now a Plusnet Hub Two router available, and I wonder if I should try to get hold of one (might Plusnet give one to a nice loyal customer such as me? failing that there are a few around on eBay etc.). Hoping it might fix the problem and, well, just be better (in some way or other) - better range/speed, etc.?

Grateful for any thoughts/guidance.

Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 77

Re: Plusnet Routers

Hi @bigalxyz 

The Hub Two has some notable differences to the Hub One

1) Only three LAN ports
2) Both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wireless share the same name (it is not possible to split them)
3) Improved WiFi performance
4) Can be configure to use your preferred public DNS providers (or use your own local DNS server like pi-hole)
5) Can be configured to respond to remote ICMP (ping), this allows the use of Thinkbroadband Quality Monitor
6) The option to export event logs and status screen as a csv file, which is useful for fault finding
7) Does NOT support router or dsl stats applications
Cool Can be configured to 'bridge mode' (modem only), allows for cleaner implementation of a mesh system or 3rd party router

N.B Hub One and Two share the same power supply specification and are interchangeable

Is your contract close to renewal as you can request one for the cost of  p&p £6-99 

HTH

bigalxyz
Hooked

Thank you - that's really useful info.

However... 1) would be a bit of a problem for me because I'm using all 4 LAN ports at the moment.

Perhaps I should stick with what I have (or just buy a replacement Hub One to see if it fixes my problem)

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 77

You could buy a small ethernet switch to extend the number of ports if you have a power point available.

They are not very expensive, if you do make sure you buy one which supports Gigabit ethernet, TP-Link LS1005G 5-Port come to mind

HTH

BrizzleRocker
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Have a search through these forums and you’ll find links to a USB powered one that just plugs into the back of the Hub, no need for external power.