Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding Mesh System with FTTP & Hub 2?

FIXED
NicoD
Hooked

Adding Mesh System with FTTP & Hub 2?

Hi,

An engineer came earlier today to replace my coper connection with FTTP. I now have The Openreach ONT box fixed on the wall and the Hub 2 router sent by Plusnet is now plugged to the ONT via ethernet cable.

Using Wifi, my download speed has increased immediately on my laptop, TV... which is great.

However, some rooms (upstairs + back of the house) have poor Wifi signal. I have a Linksys Velop Mesh system (Wifi6) that I used with my old router and FTTC connection.

Question: how shall I use / connect my Linksys Velop mesh system to ensure I have good Wifi signal upstairs and in the garden? Do I need to use Hub 2 as bridge or can I use the mesh system as wifi extender?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Nico

6 REPLIES 6
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 405

Re: Adding Mesh System with FTTP & Hub 2?

Fix

Do I need to use Hub 2 as bridge or can I use the mesh system as wifi extender?

The Hub 2 bridge mode is ONLY to bridge an FTTC(VDSL) connection to a router. It is of no use in an FTTP situation.

You have two options

1) Configure the mesh system in 'Access point mode' and connect to a LAN port on the Hub 2.

2) Configure the mesh system in router mode. Its WAN configured for PPPoE with your PLusnet credentials and connect its WAN port directly to the ONT. The Hub 2 is then not used at all

I have a Linksys Velop Mesh system (Wifi6) that I used with my old router and FTTC connection.

How was that previously configured ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 77

@MisterW replied before me, deleted text

dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Full Fibre to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
NicoD
Hooked

I have a Linksys Velop Mesh system (Wifi6) that I used with my old router and FTTC connection.

How was that previously configured ?

I used my old hub as a bridge and then my mesh as the main router.

NicoD
Hooked

Do I need to use Hub 2 as bridge or can I use the mesh system as wifi extender?

The Hub 2 bridge mode is ONLY to bridge an FTTC(VDSL) connection to a router. It is of no use in an FTTP situation.

You have two options

1) Configure the mesh system in 'Access point mode' and connect to a LAN port on the Hub 2.

2) Configure the mesh system in router mode. Its WAN configured for PPPoE with your PLusnet credentials and connect its WAN port directly to the ONT. The Hub 2 is then not used at all

This is super helpful by the way. I will try that tomorrow, but option 2 feels the right one for me. Thank you!!

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 405

In that case continue with it as a router. Configured it for PPPoE and connect it directly to the ONT. Keep the hub 2 as a spare router.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.