Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change to FTTP

FIXED
Schiehallion
Grafter

Change to FTTP

Apologies if this is in the wrong area. This is regarding my dad's property. He currently has ADSL broadband and landline both with Plusnet. I discussed different options on a previous thread. Now we know what we want to do.

The advice we got was:

1)  Keep the existing ADSL service active.

2) Take out FTTP as an additional broadband service with Plusnet.

3) When the FTTP service is working, ask A&A to take over the landline number. This would automatically cease the original ADSL line to the property.

Questions:

1) Have I got the above right?

2) Does the FTTP service get added to his existing Plusnet account, or does it need an additional account.

3) My understanding is that we shouldn't notify Plusnet when transferring the phone number away, and just let A&A deal with it.

However, on the email he has received to notify him that his contract is coming to an end it states: Once you get to the end of your contract, you can leave free of charge and either switch to another provider or cancel your service by giving us 14 days' notice. Do we need to give Plusnet 14 days notice of this? Or, does transferring the number away mean that we're not actually cancelling the service and therefore don't need to give notice (although the line would be ceased as part of the process)?

Thanks in advance.

17 REPLIES 17
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 50

Re: Change to FTTP

@Schiehallion 

What you propose would work though you would have 2 bills to pay (+A&A) for a while. Presumably already asked, are you aware this method ceases email and you lose all access?

You would have a totally separate account for the FTTP service (basically as a new customer).

Brian

Schiehallion
Grafter

@bmc 

Thanks. There is no email associated with the account. It's purely broadband and phone.

Does my initial suggestion seem the best way to do this, or would it be better to change the existing account to FTTP and then try to get A&A to obtain the existing landline number before it is lost?

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 3

Fix

You could of course just ask PN to upgrade you to FTTP and then ask A&A to "capture" the number once the switch is done. That is somewhat higher risk but cheaper (probably keep the same account) and will almost certainly result in several days with no landline.

I think I probably put in my "ten cents worth" to your original query as I went down the "new line first" route though mine was from ADSL to SOGEA/FTTC not FTTP.

The A&A takeover will indeed cancel the phone and ADSL service when it happens with a near-immediate switchover of the landline number.

I expect as he will still be a PN customer that any termination changes will be minimal if you speak to them and explain after it happens. Mine certainly were, in fact I got a refund on my ADSL (from PlusNet) AND on the landline (from BT). Both were "out of contract" though. I did have to pay an installation charge though as I had a new master socket and a small amount of extra external wiring; not sure if that applies with FTTP.

Schiehallion
Grafter

@HPsauce 

Plusnet is currently advertising no activation fee for a 24 month FTTP contract. Openreach would have to do an installation visit as he doesn't currently have fibre installed.

As his current contract is up on the 5th June he shouldn't be hit with termination charges, if he moves his phone after that date.

Did having 2 Plusnet contacts in your name (for the same address) cause any problems with Plusnet? Can the same email address be used for both Plusnet accounts?

Sorry for all the question. Thanks for your help.

HPsauce
Pro

I used the same email address for both accounts. Didn't seem to be an issue at all having two accounts with very similar names and the same personal details, email, bank account etc.. 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Some around here have suggested setting up the A&A account with a temporary number before the intended switch date with a temporary number. That allows you to get everything set up and tested. Then when the switch to FTTP occurs (by which ever option) the number can be ported to the established A&A account, thereby minimising the down time.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HPsauce
Pro

The only potential issue I can think of with two PlusNet accounts is if there's a fault and you use the text message method to report it, I just realised I have the same mobile number on both my accounts, not that I've had any problems yet. The old account still exists even though there is no service on it.....

Schiehallion
Grafter

@Townman @bmc @HPsauce 

Thank you all so much for your help.

If we're ordering an additional service (and hence an additional Plusnet account), are we best to place the order over the phone (or online)?

@HPsauce 

Regarding the same mobile number being registered to both accounts. I presume we could remove the mobile number from the ADSL account, before migrating the service away.

HPsauce
Pro

I think I did mine over the phone, online will get VERY confused. Even then I had to explain VERY carefully that it was an ADDITIONAL line but the person I spoke to got it in the end! You'll need to think of a new account ID, I just added a suffix character to my old one.

You old account will be there for a while; it needs to be (with DD still active!) to sort out final bills, refunds etc. I still haven't changed the number on mine. 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 405

I think I did mine over the phone, online will get VERY confused. Even then I had to explain VERY carefully that it was an ADDITIONAL line but the person I spoke to got it in the end! You'll need to think of a new account ID, I just added a suffix character to my old one.

@HPsauce Its not quite as confusing if ordering FTTP online because you don't need an additional copper line as you did. It will still detect that there is already a service at the address, you just need to make sure that the option to 'retain existing services' is selected. That way you can create a new account for FTTP and leave the old account and services intact.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 50

@Schiehallion 

The choice is yours.

1) Create a new account for FTTP, get that installed and then port the existing number to A&A which would cancel the ADSL account. More or less guaranteed and probably results in less phone outage but costs more.

2) Upgrade the exisiting account and port asap after FTTP is up and running. Very few posts recenly on this method failing but no guarantees and it would result in greater down time for the phone.

Either way set the A&A account up first with a temporary number to ensure the phone works. Any care or house alarms to worry about?

Brian

Schiehallion
Grafter

@HPsauce @MisterW @bmc 

Thank you so much for clarifying everything. Will be requesting FTTP in addition to the ADSL line. That way, we can ensure that the FTTP is working properly before migrating the number to A&A (and also lose the ADSL broadband). It just seems the safest option, although it will cost a bit more.

Have found the option on the Plusnet site to keep the existing line (but stopped short of creating a new account and placing the order). Will place the order online within the next fortnight.

I will post back to let you know how this process works. Will be after the 6th June, as that is when the ADSL contract is up, so can't migrate the landline number before then.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 405

Will be after the 6th June, as that is when the ADSL contract is up, so can't migrate the landline number before then.

I wouldnt wait until the contract expires. You pay monthly in advance so (depending on your billing date) you are going to be charged the 'out of contract' rate for your existing service.

An FTTP order is likely to take at least 14 days to complete and then there's probably a 5 day lead time for the number port. So to avoid any higher charges for the ADSL service , you need to start moving within the next week!.

HPsauce
Pro

@Schiehallion I totally agree with @MisterW  there - get your FTTP order in now. Even if its a superfast installation the financial overlap cost is likely to be less than waiting until you're in higher out-of-contract rates. Chances are that, like they did with me, the cancellation on the old line took place the day I requested it without penalty as you're remaining as a customer.