cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VOIP using Plusnet, Grandstream, A&A

Tettin
Hooked

VOIP using Plusnet, Grandstream, A&A

I recently successfully migrated to VOIP using Plusnet Hub 2, a Grandstream adapter and the Andrews & Arnold VOIP service. This took a few attempts so I though I would share what worked for me. The details are attached. The summary is:

1. I upgraded from a plusnet hub 1 to hub 2 and set the ip address to static (a small fee from plusnet).

2. I used a Grandstream HT801 adapter and first updated its firmware to the latest version and did a reset.

3 I changed one setting on the plusnet router (upnp to off)

4 I set up the A&A account on the Grandstream web interface and tested it worked OK , ie was registered ok with A&A

5. I changed what I believe to be a minimal amount of settings on the Grrandstream, saved them and rebooted the device

6. Tested for calls in and out . It has worked well, no call issues in or out and good sound quality.

See attached for details. I wanted something like this when I was setting up so I hope you find it useful.

Tags (3)
19 REPLIES 19
Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

Re: VOIP using Plusnet, Grandstream, A&A

@Tettin 

Thanks for this - I'm intending to do similar when my current Plusnet contract expires next year.

A couple of questions please:

1.) Did you get the Grandstream HT801 through A&A, or did you buy it separately? I'm guessing the latter, because my understanding is that A&A supply them pre-configured?

2.) You said that you paid for a static IP address. Is that necessary for this setup to work? I haven't seen that mentioned in other setup reports, so assumed that a dynamic IP address was OK?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 411

@Tettin a very useful guide.

You should also set the ‘NAT Traversal’ option to ‘Keep-Alive’ in the FXS port settings, otherwise you may find that incoming calls are intermittent.

On another front, I'm not surprised that you never got it working with the Hub 1. The Hub 1 has a flawed SIP ALG which cannot be disabled. The Hub 2 , although it has a SIP ALG option , it is disabled by default and is best left that way!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Tettin
Hooked

Thanks for the idea re 'Keep-alive'. I have not had any issues re incoming calls, I'm wondering if there are any negatives to setting the NAT traversal to keep alive. Perhaps because I've set up a static ip address the NAT traversal issue never arises?  I dont have sufficient knowledge on the way this works.

I notice you have better links to Plusnet. I have mentioned to A&A a suggestion. Its more business than technical. Some kind of relationship between Plusnet and A&A where perhaps Plusnet was an agent for A&A and the grandstream devices could help Plusnet provide a VOIP offering, make some money, keep customers happier and by providing a proven configuration make it simpler for customers and avoid losing customers to those with included VOIP offerings. Maybe even preconfigured grandstream devices. I don't think customers should need to be mini systems integrators....

Tettin
Hooked

Hi Mr Paul.

I did buy the Grandstream HT 801 from another source. Amazon, it came from the USA. I have had several discussions with A&A. My understanding is that they do not provide preconfigured Grandstreams for Plusnet. However they do provide complete solutions with their own router etc (and broadband). When I asked them for advice I received an email from them with some suggestions to try. More recently, ie today, I sent them my simple guide and they thanked me and said they will include it in the A&A Wiki. Note I found A&A support staff helpful and the account set up was straightforward. 

I mention in my previous attachment that I'm not sure the static IP is essential. If i was to do this again I'd try without setting a static IP address first. I do know that the approach I took worked. The reason I set it up as static was because I fully expected to have to change the settings in the Grandstream to reflect the static IP address but it proved unnecessary. I am all for keeping things simple and the approach worked. Someone with more understanding than me might be able to confirm (or even better test) the solution with a dynamic ip.  One thing i noticed in arriving at this solution is the difficulty of getting a definitive answer, eg as to exactly how NAT traverse works, STUN, keep alive etc. Much of the advice is along the lines of try something and see if it works. Thats why I decided to keep things as simple as possible and £5 to set it static was reasonable.

The PDF I provided is a solution that worked. It is the sort of guide I wanted as I was setting up to save me spending many hours trying different options. It may well not be the only option, it would do no harm to try with a dynamic setting, you might find yourself using 'STUN' etc too. If you do find other settings that work it would be good to share. Good luck.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Perhaps because I've set up a static ip address the NAT traversal issue never arises?

@Tettin a static public IP will make no difference to the NAT traversal issue.

I have setup a famility member using A & A and a dynamic IP albeit using a Gigaset N300 rather than a HT801.

There's a really good explanation of the problems with SIP(voip) & NAT here  https://kb.smartvox.co.uk/voip-sip/sip-nat-problem/

STUN used to be the suggested method of resolving but now most SIP servers are 'NAT aware' and simply ignore any address in the SIP register and invite packets, and reply to the address from which the packet arrived. So as long as the NAT pinhole is kept open (using the keep-alive) , then SIp now works pretty reliably behind NAT without the use of STUN and port forwarding.

I have mentioned to A&A a suggestion. Its more business than technical. Some kind of relationship between Plusnet and A&A where perhaps Plusnet was an agent for A&A

I'd be surprised if A & A haven't thought about that themselves , given the perceived number of ports of Plusnet numbers ?

My only conclusion is that the posts we see on here, wishing to retain a phone on a voip service,  are in fact just a small percentage of customers transferring to broadband only products.

Note I found A&A support staff helpful and the account set up was straightforward. 

In my experience A & A support is second to none, responses are very prompt and knowledgable. Some years ago I converted the office PBX system from ISDN lines to a voip system porting a block of 20 numbers to A & A voip. The pre-sales support and knowledge of A & A staff was the clincher in using them.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

AthlonGod

Did you manage to keep your existing landline number? I'm currently in contract on one of the accounts, and would like to port the number to Voip, and just wondered if that's what you did?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I'm currently in contract on one of the accounts, and would like to port the number to Voip

@AthlonGod assuming its available, then you should be able to upgrade your account a Plusnet broadband only product , Fibre or Full Fibre. This ceases your landline phone service and you then have 30 days from the new product going live to port the number to a voip service. Note, do not attempt to port the number BEFORE the broadband only product goes live as this will cease your existing services and close the account.

Tettin
Hooked

Yes it worked fine. I transferred my old number. My previous contract with Plusnet was coming to an end (it was Broadband and landline). I chose to go broadband only. The timing was not a problem. It took a few days for plusnet to set up the new Broadband only deal. At the same time I contacted my chosen VOIP provider (A&A) and paid a small fee to transfer the number. I recall about a week for the change to happen. Even if there is a gap between when you end the Plusnet side and start the new number there is plenty of time allowed for the transfer to take place.

Tettin
Hooked

Thanks for the smartvox link. It is useful to understand the issues.

Whilst its ok, or even satisfying, for those of us with some technical knowledge, to navigate our way through and arrive at a solution to setup up VOIP. I think it could be so much easier. Its no ones fault that this is complicated, not Plusnet, the voip provider or the adapter provider. It is a classic systems integration issue. I think it would be in the interest of Plusnet to provide some proven set up guides, or preconfigured option(s). It would help them to keep hold of customers who might otherwise go to one of the other service providers who do provide a VOIP option as part of their package.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

It would help them to keep hold of customers who might otherwise go to one of the other service providers who do provide a VOIP option as part of their package

if you want a packaged option, they will transfer you to BT/EE with no ETCs

G6JPG-0
Grafter

"if you want a packaged option, they will transfer you to BT/EE with no ETCs" - can you tell us more?

I currently have broadband (about speed 30; I previously had 60, but went to 30 on one of the annual haggles in return for anytime calls. 30 is more speed than I need!), an email address, anytime calls, 1471, 1571 (voicemail), 1572 (blocking - though haven't succeeded to block anything yet), and _possibly_ other things I've forgotten; I've been a PN customer for a _long_ time, and very happy with the _technical_ aspects of the service (though the newsserver at present needs a reset).

If I transferred to BT/EE, (a) would it be seamless - i. e. I wouldn't have to go through endless configuration conversations, and (b) would the cost shoot up, or only go up a bit? (I'm sure it wouldn't go down!)

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

"if you want a packaged option, they will transfer you to BT/EE with no ETCs" - can you tell us more?

All I know is that if a customer wishes to change products and retain a 'phone service', the Plusnet COT (Customer options) team will arange a direct contact with BT/EE to take over the service and move the phone to their Digital voice. The account will also be 'tagged' to ensure that no ETCs are invoked.

If I transferred to BT/EE, (a) would it be seamless - i. e. I wouldn't have to go through endless configuration conversations, and (b) would the cost shoot up, or only go up a bit? (I'm sure it wouldn't go down!)

I'm afarid the actual transfer procedure wouldn't be any different to if you arranged the transfer yourself with BT/EE and the costs would be what you could negotiate with BT/EE.

NB you will lose any Plusnet email and other legacy benefits , just like you would transferring to any other ISP

G6JPG-0
Grafter

Do BT have _any_ email facility?

Tettin
Hooked

There are many options available re call packages. When I looked into this I chose A&A (and stayed with Plusnet for broadband) I looked at the call charges and decided un the unbundled A&A where you pay a low monthly fee £1.44 I recall) then low charges per call (1.2p per min to a landline). It was simple, transparent and inexpensive with good support. Its worth looking at your own call needs and the different packages possible. I did a small spreadsheet to look at the options. I took the previous two months calls from the Plusnet bill and worked out what they would have cost on the main options I considered. Which included Vodafone and A&A and the Plusnet offer. Your own call pattern has a big influence on which is the cheapest option.

The other traditional providers I looked at had surprisingly high call charges, they were either using the same rates as when it was a landline or reducing partially. The argument from one supplier was that we are providing the same service as before just delivering it differently. 

The actual change from my 'old' Plusnet broadband  and landline to Plusnet Broadband only was seamless, when Ive swapped suppliers before it has always been seamless.  No gaps, broadband continued. The phone aspect I could easily use via a PC the following day. There are free apps, I used 'zoiper' just to prove things whilst I waited for the adapter and just used a mobile until the new set up was working.. It did take me some time, many days, to get the adapter and router working but you would not need to have the same hassle. A previous attachment I included has the settings that worked.