DNS down - set your DNS servers manually

FIXED
helstern

Re: DNS down - set your DNS servers manually

whereis it put out?

Mark63
Rising Star

My internet access conked out at about 16:20. I could ping IP addresses , but not web addresses, a sure sign of DNS issues.

Anyway, now running on Google DNS settings.

I suspect the same thing happened at 08:00 hrs last week, Wed 12th I think it was ? 

Mav
Fixes: 516

@willcutforth wrote:

Don't change DNS settings please.

@willcutforth 

Not sure why you are saying that?

My daughter and ex-wife who are around 30 miles away have lost their connection so did I but my wife's, in the same house as me, is fine.

I changed to Google's DNS and it's back up. In fact, I'm not sure why I wasn't using Google's as that's usually the first thing I do on a new connection.

Edit: I changed DNS on PC

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

DafOwen
Grafter
Fixes: 2

I would add for IT novices - my suggestion was to change DNS server IP on computer/device, not the router.
Mind you - not sure if it's possible on the router.
I don't know if it's easily possible on mobile devices.

I would update my original message - but option seems to be gone now.

Welshsteve
Grafter

All my devices dropped about an hour ago, apart from one which is connected to a VPN for work. Strange how that has stayed up.

Any news on when this is going to be fixed?

We'll be getting no refund or compensation for loss of service so I'd expect this to be fixed pretty sharpish
Raxiel
Dabbler

Was wondering why the only device in the house that still had a connection was the one with a VPN.

Second month with Plusnet after switching from Sky. Not the most impressive start, but our old cabinet was pretty awful, so we're still ahead.

I've switched to Cloudflare on my other PC. Came here to ask if its possible to change the DNS Server directly in the Hub 2 so all the other devices start working again. Could someone point me to it?

Don't worry support, I'll switch it back later and I've saved a config backup too.

Lwio
Rising Star

Giving it 30 mins then over to google.
probedb
Rising Star

Yep, go to Advanced settings in the admin panel, then My network, then IPv4 config, turn off Auto on your DNS and enter the values, will likely have to refresh each device to pick it up though.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 411

apart from one which is connected to a VPN for work. Strange how that has stayed up.

Not really, once the VPN is up, it will have the IP for the VPN server and wont need DNS to keep the connection up

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

j_s
Dabbler

I can't even access the router via the IP address, tried hard wired and via wifi and it can't find the router, oddly my wired laptop is connected to the internet without issue so I don't quite understand why I can't see the router's login screen.

Mav

I've decided to change the DNS on the router - saves having to change all devices separately.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Raxiel
Dabbler

Thanks, I see it now. Given it will require refreshing all the existing connections I might hold off for now and see if it comes back by the end of my workday rather than interupt my VPN

I live in the stupid timeline where my light switches require working wifi though, so I won't put up with it for that long

Mav

My wife's is still working and her DNS is set to auto so I I still don't understand why mine went down and her connection fine.

jwsg
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Its easy on the Hub 2 - and it even remembered the google IPs from the last time they were needed - but the PC needed persuading to pick them up.

I can understand not recommending everyone starts changing settings in each of dozens of devices though - but no excuse for PN still not having an effective fallback system in place when these are widespread outages - it shouldnt even need the two DNS IPs which dont seem to help anyway.

Reliable internet isnt just needed for WFH - devices and streaming need it too.

Welshsteve
Grafter

Has to be said that in this day and age, and given what people pay, for what is an essential service these days, it's pretty poor that these outages are not sorted quicker. People rely on broadband for almost all aspects of life these days.

As with everything else, prices will still go up every year regardless of the quality of service provided.