Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Domain and email address out of Plusnet/Madasafish

Tibbie
Grafter

Moving Domain and email address out of Plusnet/Madasafish

Hello.

So had my domain and 2 emails attached to that domain with Madasafish/Plusnet for longer than I want to remember.

Sadly I will be leaving Plusnet when my current contract runs out.

So do I have to move my domain and associated emails away as I am not paying for them, I think it is a legacy thing, but if I do how do I achieve this and can anyone recommend a good host.

My website isn't really needed, It but my email addresses are.

Thanks in advance.

17 REPLIES 17
zpeterk
Grafter

Re: Moving Domain and email address out of Plusnet/Madasafish

I am moving mine to mythic beast, I think email is £2 a month. You will have to wait to a knowledgeable cs agent picks up this post to help you.

rflitcroft
Dabbler

You will need to choose a new domain registrar, DNS provider and email provider. These can be the same company or different ones - it's entirely up to you.

For instance using Andrews & Arnold as an email provider and GoDaddy as a domain registrar & DNS provider (although A&A could handle all these).
Set up an email domain with Andrews & Arnold for £1 per month (light usage).
Transfer the domain from Plusnet to GoDaddy. (Ask Plusnet to set the IPSTAG to that of your new domain registrar if it's a .uk domain - for other domains the process is different).

Add DNS records (MX mainly) to your domain with the new registrar - the email provider should give you instructions or pre-configure things for you if they are also the DNS provider.

I will recommend Andrews & Arnold - their customer service is excellent and they are good value for stuff like email and VOIP.

One of the good things about Plusnet email was the ability to have many mailboxes, aliases and forwarding (e.g. to gmail) - A&A do all of this.

JNav

Hi. I'm in exactly the same situation.  I've been fed up with PN for ages, especially with the inability to send emails to gmail addresses and finally getting around to moving.  Spoke with Godaddy and also Ecohost (as I saw someone else mention them in another related thread).  I would prefer to move domain and email provider to another single company as feel this may be easier,  but I see need a code or some info from PN.  I can see no sensible way to contact them for this.  I've tried a few numbers listed but the options given don't match my needs so end up going around in circles.  How can I get  this information?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 405

I am moving mine to mythic beast

Another recommendation for Mythic beasts here. Been with them for around two years now, have two domains hosted there for email, about to move my other which is currently with Ecohosting. Support is excellent, they typically respond to tickets in around 30 mins, and with knowlegable responses!

A mail only hosting account is £20/yr , unlimited mailboxes and domains, subject to a storage limit of 2Gb. If you need more space or web hosting then the Web 25 (with 5Gb storage) is £30/yr.

Domain registration (for a .uk domain) is £7.20/yr.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

but I see need a code or some info from PN.  I can see no sensible way to contact them for this.  I've tried a few numbers listed but the options given don't match my needs so end up going around in circles.  How can I get  this information?

You don't need a code for a .uk domain. For others you need an EPP code.

The staff who monitor this forum will pick up on the requests here and raise tickets on your accounts, to which you can reply.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JNav

Hi -  thinking of moving to ecohosting and starting the process, and it says "Please ensure you have unlocked your domain at your current registrar before continuing." How do I do that?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

It's only required for a non UK domain. Normally you would unlock the domain and get an epp code at the same time.

You'll have wait for a staff member to pick this up, they'll raise a ticket for you to respond, and then raise the request to Netops to unlock and generate the cod

JNav

Thanks. I'm so out of date with all this stuff!

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

A tip, make sure the contact email for the domain is correct (and accessible) as you'll get emails to confirm during the transfer process.

JNav

Thanks, I did wonder about  that and thought about using another email as main contact not the one being transferred

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

and thought about using another email as main contact not the one being transferred

Yes, I transferred a .org domain for someone a week ago and did consider that. Problem was that changing the contact details would have 'locked' the domain for 60 days , preventing transfer!!

Tibbie
Grafter

Hello Again 

So I plan to move my .co.uk domain and emails addresses to Mythic beasts

Could a CS person please email to help me kick this off.

I know enough to be dangerous but I have read Mythic Beasts documents around accessing Control Panels to change DNS and also IPSTAG redirecting

Thanks

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

So I plan to move my .co.uk domain and emails addresses to Mythic beasts

Open a Mythic beasts account in advance, add your domain as a third party domain and create all your mailboxes and aliases.

At this point mail is still going to Plusnet. If you use IMAP to access your mail it is stored on the PN servers, so look at copying emails to your mythic account ( this https://imapsync.lamiral.info/ is a useful tool )

Once the domain has been transferred (IPSTAG changed) then you can use the Mythic control panle to switch nameservers and your mail will now be going to Mythic. Well actually there's up to 24 hrs for the nameserver change to fully propagate, so some mail may still go to Plusnet.

This is not the ideal scenario but the alternative is not possible with the PN DNS control panel.

AHurley
Hooked

Hi 

I'm also transferring to Mythical Beasts

I've Open a Mythic beasts account , added my domain as a third party domain and create all your mailboxes and aliases.

Can CS agent please assist with the transfer.

Many thanks

Paul