cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guaranteed Minimum Speed

Dragon_14
Dabbler

Guaranteed Minimum Speed

I am thinking of renewing, but need to know my GMS before I do so, and this figure appears to be deliberately omitted from the renewal offer. Are you not obliged to provide this? Can someone at Plusnet tell me it please? I have been on the chat line and they cannot help. I have found my last introductory email and it is not on there either. Thank you.

47 REPLIES 47
corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

Re: Guaranteed Minimum Speed

It seems a bit random as to whether a guaranteed minimum speed is given for a particular line.

They often say the speed will be determined in the first 10 days (or 3 weeks, or month), and then the minimum guaranteed speed will be set to a fraction of that.

I no longer have a Plusnet connection, but the only choice I have (ADSL2+) has a guaranteed minimum download speed of 2.5Mbps, but of course there is no guaranteed minimum speed at all for upload. The guaranteed speed used to be a little higher when I had a connection, but seemed to drop with each renewal.

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

@Dragon_14 

There is a way to find your Minimum Guaranteed Speed (and if you're like me keep a copy for future reference)

But, you would need to start by borrowing a neighbours address - you're not doing anything wrong - as long as you don't go all the way to the end and order broadband!!!

Go onto the Plusnet site - https://www.plus.net/broadband/fibre-and-phone/ - and click on Find My Deals

Then (being as you're already a customer) use your postcode

But on the next page choose a neighbours house number - don't worry, I won't tell on ya Wink

It should look like this:

new with exisitng BB.PNG

Then on that screen simply click on the Package and Speed Details

It'll look like this:

both.PNG

HTH Azn

Dragon_14
Dabbler

Thanks - ingenious!

Dragon_14
Dabbler

Thanks for your comment.

mystreet1
Grafter
Fixes: 1

You can also do exactly the same from your PN BB.

Just go to the site and and look for the best deals, but don't select existing customer. Select an address for your postcode.

Same result as above. 

Have been a member for years, but cannot find my login details and when requested a PW reset, goes round in circles, hence new account.
Don101
Dabbler

So Ive just upgraded to Fibre only, from unlimited fibre and phone. Not changed over yet, but on in my account my speed was given as 36mb estimated. If I upgraded to fibre only it was given as 6mb! I phoned technical to query it, and they checked and said I should get 29 to 39 with fibre only, guaranteed minimum of 27mb. Transferred to upgrade dept. on the phone, who assured me these figures were correct. So I went ahead. just received several emails about my new package, all giving an estimated  download of 6 to 6 mb!!. I did exactly what DS said below and checked my neighbors line - 39 to 41mb estimated download speed.

So I did a speed test on my line, guess what  7.03 mb download. I did it twice!!

Maybe plusnet can explain? Or maybe I should cancel before it goes through.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@Don101  or maybe you have a fault on your line that needs sorting out first.

Whilst you still have a phone, dial 17070 option 2, is the line quiet?

Are you plugged into the Master Socket?

Are you able to log into the router and post the stats - idealy the Help Desk Tab from Advanced/Technical ?

Don101
Dabbler

Thanks. We never use the phone line and have no phone to test it with.

We"ve had line problems before, and plusnet support were very good, both times a bt engineer came out and sorted it. Last time the problem was in the box down the road, the connections were all rusty!

Just not sure why plusnet technical and sales claim we should get 29 to 39 mb, then the paperwork clearly states 6mb ! Which means if I go ahead with that, and thats all I get then its not there problem anymore!

I"ll raise an issue with technical, maybe they can check the line properly and send an engineer if necessary.

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

@Don101 wrote: snipped

So Ive just upgraded to Fibre only, from unlimited fibre and phone. Not changed over yet, but on in my account my speed was given as 36mb estimated.

If you upgraded and then checked what your minimum speed is then there's a likely chance that speed hasn't updated yet

However

Do you mean you've updated to Full Fibre (as in Fibre to the premises - FTTP - which requires an ONT installation) or Faster Fibre (Fibre to the cabinet - FTTC)

If you have moved to the FTTP service then the speed estimate is still showing at the old FTTC speed - don't quote me on this as its been a while, but the minimum speed guarantee uses historic speed results (IIRC from BTw Speedtester) for your line (and as part of my 'testing' that produced the above images, one of my neighbours has never has the internet and he's lived their since he was born and even his address is showing the same speed as mine - we all share the same telegraph pole). I think the minimum speed guarantee is then reset to the newer (higher speed)

@Don101 wrote:

If I upgraded to fibre only it was given as 6mb! I phoned technical to query it, and they checked and said I should get 29 to 39 with fibre only, guaranteed minimum of 27mb.

Fibre only, and I'm saying its FTTP, there are no loses in Fibre Optic (as it uses pulses of light) and thus the length of the line doesn't really matter and you would be set as close (possibly even at the top whack - IDK)  to your chosen speed package.

Those speeds quoted don't relate/tally with FULL fibre Undecided

@Don101 wrote:
Transferred to upgrade dept. on the phone, who assured me these figures were correct. So I went ahead. just received several emails about my new package, all giving an estimated  download of 6 to 6 mb!!. I did exactly what DS said below and checked my neighbors line - 39 to 41mb estimated download speed.

So I did a speed test on my line, guess what  7.03 mb download. I did it twice!!

Maybe plusnet can explain? Or maybe I should cancel before it goes through.

Nope, I'm baffled by the 6mb estimated download, this make no sense unless (as Mustrum is alluding to) you have something not right with the connection and recorded speed results (IF this is what Openreach use) of 6Mbps are somehow being logged, but I very much doubt this

As I've mentioned, the minimum speed guarantees will, for the most part, be referring to FTTC speeds, though as more move (or a forcedLips_are_sealed) on to Fibre All The Way (imho a better marketing ploy) these minimum speeds for thise around us will start to increase

I could of course have this totally wrong.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

@DS wrote:

snip

I could of course have this totally wrong.

You are, and are as often, over complicating things.

No FTTP here, just a change from FTTC with phone to Fibre as PN calls SOGEA.

But as PN systems use current line speed for those change figures, and not bother to look at what the line should be supporting, and as faults have not been reported the results are as they are.

Don101
Dabbler

Thanks for your replies

My "upgrade" is essentially exactly the same as before, but with no phone number. Copper to the box down the road, then fibre.

I was previously given a speed of around 36, and it has been that fast before when I tested it.

If I "upgrade" to fibre only, (same, just no phone number" then its estimated as 6!.  I just tested it and im getting 7mb.

I think my copper line is rubbish and they dont want to be responsible for fixing it, so if I agree to a speed of 6 and only get 7, then its no longer ther problem. Thats what I think is happening.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 259

@Don101 If you were getting ~36mb/s immediately prior to an essentially 'flick a switch' change - i.e. no real change to your connection, there is no reason for it to drop to ~7 - in fact I would be, to say the least, extremely suspicious.

John
Mustrum
Community Veteran

@Don101  you have to take some responsibility for this, if your line is not performing as it should then you should report a fault. PN will not know your line is operating slower than it should until you tell them. 

In the mean time, they will just use your current line speed as the basis for the new guaranteed minimum. 

Even when you spoke to PN they say you should be getting more, so get used to checking your speeds more often, better still log into your router now and then and do something when you see significant synch loss that you clearly have now.

greygit1
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

At which point no contract has been agreed, and there is no "Minimum Guaranteed Speed" (or spoon).

The "i" in the little round circle might give more details.

Screenshot 2024-02-01 230522.jpg