Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing a Home Server from Outside the Home Network

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

Accessing a Home Server from Outside the Home Network

I have FTTC that syncs at the full 80/20 and a Plusnet Hub 2. I also have a Netgear ReadyNAS RN214 home server that uses Samba, (it has other protocols available), to make files available across our home network.

It used to be possible to set up the RN214 fairly easily so that these files could also be accessed from outside the home network. Netgear had apps for Android and Windows etc that enabled this and it didn't matter that I have a dynamic external IP address - so I guess that it used the unit's MAC address to find my home server? The service was called ReadyCloud

Unfortunately, Netgear closed down their systems that made this happen and I would like to try to re-instate it.

So, how would I go about setting everything up to replicate what I used to be able to do with ReadyCloud?

The RN214 has a static IP address on the home network, (call it 192.168.1.xxx) and I know how to find on the Hub2's GUI what my external IP address is. I'm guessing that I will need some port forwarding on the Hub and open up some ports in its firewall, but what exactly?

Should Samba still work outside my home network, or will I need another protocol, (which one)?

How should I set my laptop up to be able to access the server externally? My OS of choice is Linux Mint, but I do have Windows 11 available.

Initially I will set my mobile phone up as a WiFi hotspot to test, but if it is successful I will probably "invest" in a Plusnet static IP address.

TIA

8 REPLIES 8
dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

Re: Accessing a Home Server from Outside the Home Network

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to Tech Help

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 77

If you are technically minded and happy to buy some hardware I would consider creating your own VPN server

I have successfully used a raspberry pi for years now, using the instructions here https://www.pivpn.io/ 

HTH

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro

@Dan_the_Van 

Thanks for the reply.

What version of RaspberryPi do you run this on? I do have a 3B available - would that be OK?

Does the storage drive to be shared have to be plugged in to the Pi, or can it be set up to share data on a different shared drive - ie my RN214?

I notice that they say that this "will work just as well on any Debian server", as ReadyNAS OS is based on Debian, so I will investigate that further as well.

I would still be interested to hear from others please if this can also be achieved with configuration changes on the RN214 / Hub2 etc?

EDIT: Just noticed this at the bottom of the linked page: "PiVPN is no longer maintained."

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

@Mr_Paul 

The model 3B is fine as that's what I am currently using, not having a NAS drive I have not investigated running VPN server on one, but I know it is possible on some NAS devices, so worth investigating.

The NAS drive would stay connected as it is now with the VPN server being just another device on your network.

You'll need port forward rule for UDP on your Hub with the NAS drive being the target IP,

You get the choice of OpenVPN or my choice WireGuard, use the required app, start up the app on your PC, you are then connected your LAN.

You connect to the drive map as normal as the PC is connected as if at home.

I can help you with the Hub forward rule if you get stuck.

Just seen your edit, need to some research myself now, some routers support VPN server so that's another option to a pi.

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro

@Dan_the_Van 

"You get the choice of OpenVPN or my choice WireGuard, use the required app, start up the app on your PC, you are then connected your LAN."

Are you referring here to the desktop PC that I would use to configure this, or the laptop that I would be using to access my files remotely?

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

@Mr_Paul 

You first start by installing the raspberry pi using a the cli command which is detailed in the link supplied; you get the option for openVPN or wireguard. There and a few screens where you configure your requirements. Hopefully obvious.

You need a openVPN or wireguard client installed on your PC, you will need to create a tunnel file for that PC on the VPN server.

Copy the tunnel file and add to the client.

Create the necessary port forward rule.

To check it's working you need the VPN to connect to your public IP Address, I use mobile data on my phone and tether to that.

HTH

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Got to be honest and say when it comes to the VPN I still use the one bundled with windows. Yes it's limited to just one connection but i find it far easier to use with Android as it is natively supported.

As for accessing files, there is a great android app called X-plore - a file manager that can literally access all sorts of services from windows file shares to FTP servers, cloud services etc. It's literally the best file manager I've ever used and it works well over a VPN connection.

I can't comment on third party VPNs, I haven't used one and don't intend to. I'm quite happy for microsoft and the intelligence services to have access to my PC - nothing to hide - but unknown 3rd party softwares? - no thanks!

The hub2 certainly supports incoming VPN activity, it can also support web servers, FTP servers etc.

What you want to do can definitely be done, I'm doing it and access my PC via remote desktop too.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro

@Dan_the_Van @7up 

Thanks for the replies, I am going to try out the installing PiVPN on my ReadyNAS first and then the RaspberryPi suggestion when I have a bit more time.

To clarify, all of my PC's run Linux Mint - the Windows access is via a USB drive which is quite slow in itself.

Access via my Android will also be useful - I am familiar with X-plore.

I just need a bit of free time now!