Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible router issue

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Possible router issue

I have a hub2 router and up until this week all been fine. Weds, we noted the sky box was very slow to download anything and everything was really laggy. I have an 80/20 connection syncing at around 78/19. Router hardly ever loses sync. When doing speed tests this week up until Friday they have been all over the place rather than the normal solid 70ish download even on wireless. I noticed router had been up for over 70 days, so I did a quick reboot, but still no change. I also noticed router was pretty warm. I switched off for 10mins and back on again, and day after all well again. Could this be an evolving router issue or just a glitch. I also have cloud flare DNS set, rather than standard DNS.
4 REPLIES 4
Ian06
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Possible router issue

@penfold 

I believe there was a problem on some parts of the PN network on Wednesday evening which caused poor / slow network perfromance - perhaps your issue was related to that..?   see Think Broadband Forum 

Edited to add this link too ... Is-there-a-network-problem 

penfold
Aspiring Pro

@Ian06

Thanks for the reply. I did glance at the forums but didn't see that....

All fine now it appears. 

As an aside should I be letting the router get to 70 days uptime. Whilst the hub2 suits my needs, I'm sure it shouldn't have been that warm. It occ resets the ppoe connection but rarely reboots. 

Ian06
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I am no expert but my understanding is that you should be leaving the router on 24x7 and it shouldn't get too warm.

Check there is reasonably good air flow around the router (so that it has chance to dissipate the heat generated,) if that's ok then I would call customer services and tell them it is getting hot and you are worried about it.

I don't have a Hub 2 router, for mine generally it is recommended that the router is rebooted regularly and I have it is set to automatically reboot once a week.   It can help if there are any software issues, it causes tables and software resources to be released/reset so it can help performance, but ought not to be necessary.

If you are on a VDSL (Hybrid Fibre) connection be wary of resetting or rebooting your router as it can cause the network (DLM)  to cap your line speed if it happens too often - I am on Full Fibre so that doesn't apply in my case.

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks. I'll likely setup a schedule and reboot every couple of weeks or so. It's not the most expensive piece of kit, so internals mat develop memory leaks etc.