Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activation date much longer than quoted

Matb1ack
Dabbler

Re: Activation date much longer than quoted

I don't seem to be able to attach pictures

The UPRN seems to tie up to the BT checker for the individual flat from the two websites
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 258

@Matb1ack Are you sending from a phone/tablet? If so, you need to select the 'desktop' site to be able to attach pictures.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 405

The UPRN seems to tie up to the BT checker for the individual flat from the two websites

thats good news. It probably just means that the ONT assignment to each float is messed up then.

Check the serial no on the ONT ( not sure exactly where it is ) and then call Plusnet. Hopefully they can check and MAYBE get the assignment corrected remotely

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 258

Check the serial no on the ONT ( not sure exactly where it is )

A sticker on the front of the unit.

John
Matb1ack
Dabbler

Thanks, I'll give that a try 🙂
Matb1ack
Dabbler

Interesting, I just swung by the flat and both lights are solid green
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Probably best giving PN  a call , although may be best to wait till Mon as I'm not sure I f provisioning work w/E. BT wholesale certainly don't so PN won't be able to check with them

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Matb1ack  That means the ONT is connected and ready to go, there should be no reason why Plusnet cannot do a remote activation pretty quickly, you certainly shouldn't have to wait until the 2nd of May.

However convincing support that a quick activation is possible may be a problem, but it is worth asking.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Problem is likely that when the order was raised, the ONT wasn't showing ready, so the order would have to be an engineer install. Now that the ONT is apparently showing ok, the order needs changing to a remote activation, which means it may need to be cancelled and replaced with a new order

Matb1ack
Dabbler

I've just had a very odd phone call with another customer service representative who wasn't quite as pleasant as the one I spoke to this morning.

The implication was that as Plusnet were taking this line over from another provider that 10 days was the standard time to wait.

But

This is a brand new flat, no provider has been in place before. Who are Plusnet telling that they are taking over from?

I suppose the crux is, does anyone who wants broadband have to wait 10 days from moving in to get a connection where there is a working fibre box? Whether there was a previous provider or not?
Matb1ack
Dabbler

I asked the fellow I spoke to how he would feel if he was waiting two weeks without internet. He told me he'd "find a way to cope", nice.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Matb1ack  Oh dear, that is a complete load of rubbish. There is no line takeover so no 10 days to wait.  You need to talk to someone who has got some clue about FTTP activations. Obviously the person you were speaking to had no idea. I have seen a thread on this forum where an FTTP service was activated in a few hours by a certain Plusnet wizard, @Gandalf  who unfortunately after a role change is not active so much on the forum.

Don't give up, you have been fed absolute garbage, keep pushing support to sort it out .

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

@Matb1ack wrote:
The implication was that as Plusnet were taking this line over from another provider that 10 days was the standard time to wait.

To be a little bit fair the majority of new provisions will be line take overs and thus have an Ofcom mandated 10 day anti-slamming 'buffer' ... sounds as though this agent was on auto-pilot!

I would call customer service again.  Clearly advise that the status of the ONT has changed and ask if the activation date can be brought forward WITHOUT cancelling and resubmitting the order.  Whatever, it is now a bit tight to get the router delivered by Tuesday.

Back to the OP "I placed an order today and selected an activation date of next Tuesday. However I received a confirmation stating a date two weeks away." ... and the topic title "much longer than quoted" ... what date was quoted (as opposed to what you requested)?

Matb1ack
Dabbler

Thank you 🙏

Having spoken to BT I think I've come up with a solution. I'm going to take my current BT contract with me to the new flat I'll cancel my PN order and get my ex to do a new PN order in her name for the family home.

That way I'm not incurring charges ending my contract early and she'll get the advantage of the cheaper PN deals. When my contract is up I'll consider who I then use.

BT say they can do the switch over very quickly and I can take the router here with me.

Thanks everyone, separations are complex enough without all this 🙄

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Oh hum - you do not need the extra challenges.  Hope it all works out for you.  Good that you can still have amicable conversations.