cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setup of "Digital Voice" on hub 2 with third party number hosting and analogue phones

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 50

Re: Setup of "Digital Voice" on hub 2 with third party number hosting and analogue phones

@Mike28 

That's one bit of good news as regards power cuts. Some FTTC cabinets have been reported as running out of power after 30 minutes or so.

The FTTP connection on the other hand runs to a main Exchange which should have far better backup up - it may not even be suffering a power cut at the same time as you. It should last longer than your back up.

If you want to know which Exchange you're connected to use the Address version of the following.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Brian

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

Re: Setup of "Digital Voice" on hub 2 with third party number hosting and analogue phones

@Mike28 wrote:

I believe BT were touting these for "vulnerable" users but haven't heard any more in this regard. I'm interested to hear any alternatives you might be able to suggest.

A family member recently moved home, and BT offered a UPS for £85. I don't know the details of it, so don't know how it compares to other products.

I want to retain the existing phones as my elderly mother struggles with tech at the best of times, we've had them forever and she's comfortable using them.

My family member switched to Digital Voice (on a £15pm BT social tariff) and hasn't noticed the difference - from their perspective it is still just like the previous land line and still using the existing DECT handsets.

Mike28
Hooked

Thanks - I'd best check that with the number's host then..

Mike28
Hooked

Cheers; I guess that's a positive. Looks like the exchange is a small local one, so anyone's guess how long that will remain alive for in the event of a power cut..

Mike28
Hooked

Thanks - does that family member qualify as "vulnerable"? The insinuation from what I read was that the UPSs would be made available FOC, although it was third-hand information. Regardless, not with BT so I guess it's a moot point!

corringham
Seasoned Champion

@Mike28, yes the family member is classed as vulnerable and the charge for the UPS was listed as £85. I'm not sure whether the charge would have been waived had I pursued it. The family member is in sheltered accommodation with a care line type alarm system that works in a power cut, so help would be available if it were needed (and they have a mobile phone).

As for the exchange having back-up power, most should. However, with FTTC it is the cabinet that might fail after a while, as they typically only have batteries that last a couple of hours or less. With FTTP the fibre will go back to a main exchange that will have batteries and a generator - small local exchanges won't be involved in FTTP at all.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 50

corringham
Seasoned Champion

@bmc, the SOTAP for analogue product is only intended for people that only have a telephone when PSTN is withdrawn. It isn't for anyone with any kind of broadband, and it won't be offered to new customers - only existing telephone only customers will be eligible for it.

greygit1
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

A main exchange could be suffering a power cut when you are not?

corringham
Seasoned Champion

@greygit1 wrote:

A main exchange could be suffering a power cut when you are not?

That is true, but main exchanges have back-up batteries and generators that kick in within a few seconds, and will run for days.

What is perhaps more of a concern is that that anyone you want to call (other than 999) may have a power cut - that could include a lot of essential services. However, that is probably quite rare.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

There might be the odd exception on a remote Scottish island, but AFAIK all exchanges have batteries and an auto-switched back up diesel generator.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

@corringham 

"but main exchanges have back-up batteries and generators that kick in within a few seconds, and will run for days"

The telephone exchange that I used to work in, (40 years ago), had a generator that would run for well over a week on a full tank of fuel.

The generators actually took a couple of minutes to start, get up to speed and stabilise. During this time, the exchange batteries supplied the power.

I don't know how long the batteries alone could power the exchange equipment for, (they were load tested regularly), but each individual 2 volt cell, (exchanges ran on a 48 volt supply), was many times the size of a standard 12 volt car battery.

corringham
Seasoned Champion

I believe the 2v batteries used are the same as used in submarines, and in some off-grid PV systems. They have quite a large capacity, so I imagine they should run an exchange for some time.

greygit1
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Second daft question.

I'm assuming that each and every of these installations are periodically tested to ensure that things work as anticipated. It isn't as if things never end up with misconfigurations.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 258

@greygit1 AFAIK, the FTTP connection is constantly monitored electronically, and if a problem is detected OR are made aware. Once an installation is completed, you shouldn't get a 'misconfiguration', the most likely problem would be a cable/light fault.

John