Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phasing out home phones

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Phasing out home phones

Thanks @Anonymous for the A&A setup link, saved me looking for it!

I've got an IT/comms background so it was pretty simple, not sure the same would apply for most people though!

Signed up for A&A just now and have a new/additional number on the same exchange up and working.

I've configured one of the N300-connected DECT phones on the A&A number and two on the POTS number; all seems to work well calling between them and my mobile. 👍

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@HPsauce 

AFAIR, if the blue light is an annoyance it can be turned off in the GUI even for when a LAN Ethernet connection is made.

If/when you ever need to de-register any of those handsets from the N300, ISTR it can't be done via the GUI, only via a handset which may need to be a Gigaset one, BICBW.

I guess a factory reset would de-register all of them but then  you'd have to reconfigure all your settings manually!

HPsauce
Pro

Thanks @RobPN I think you're probably right about de-registering, not that I'm that bothered as the handsets weren't doing anything and this is probably only an interim setup.

To de-register two of the three I had to do that from the base station, the third (different system) was from the handset. There seems to be no function to de-register in the N300 menus so I guess it's handsets only. I might try from the third one and see what it can achieve.

Edit: Nothing, just fails to de-register. Hardly a surprise.

HPsauce
Pro

Just to note that I purchased a cheap but genuine "open box" Gigaset handset that has just arrived.

It does indeed allow you to de-register any handset 👍 ; odd that the N300 web interface doesn't though. 🤔

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 405

Yes, it seems like the de-registering can only be done via the handset.

I've got a couple of (used) Gigaset C570HX handsets on their way to augment my old S450 and C475 ones I've had for many years. I  actually requested that the seller made sure they were de-registered from their existing base as I wouldn't be able to. It would have meant that once I'd registered to my base , they would now think they had two possible bases!.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HPsauce
Pro

Hope I'm not digressing too far from topic here @MisterW but I notice that my N300ip base has gigaset.net pre-configured but only for incoming calls. I wonder if you or anyone else here knows about it?

I can't find out much at all, but I wonder:

1. Is it actually a service available in the UK? 2. If so, is it any use?

2. Is it possible to configure for outgoing calls, assuming you know someone on Gigaset.net to call?

3. Can it receive incoming calls from "normal" VOIP phones or even standard landlines or mobiles?

(I have found something on my Gigaset handset that gives me a 12-digit number suffixed with #9 which I believe is a Gigaset.net number.)

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@HPsauce https://www.gigaset.com/en_en/cms/home/support/support/gigasetnet.html

AIUI its a 'closed' voip network i.e only calls to/from other gigaset.net members

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HPsauce
Pro

Yes @MisterW I presumed it was closed, but sometimes there are "gateways".

Even though I can't (currently) configure it for outgoing calls, and don't know if that's possible, I CAN search the directory via my handset! I can also find myself in a search list as I've been through the steps to assign a name.

Though if I actually try to make a call (I've only tried for businesses that I've cross-checked via a web search) it of course says there's "No Connection".

JSHarris
Aspiring Pro

Seems the storms have given cause to test the robustness of my solution to the cessation of the PSTN.  We lost power about  four and half hours ago, just come back on.  As expected, broadband failed in less than an hour when the cabinet battery went flat (I assume).  I kept everything running my end from our backup supply.  As the PSTN is still working at the moment we used that to phone 105 and get an estimate as to how long the cut would last (didn't actually get a very useful answer, though!).

My backup system with the Mikrotik dish antenna pointing at the only mast anywhere near to us worked OK.  That mast has backup power and this seems to work, we maintained a very low speed internet connection all the time the power was off.  Not much good for web browsing (like being back on dial-up!) but fine for making VOIP calls.

My verdict is that the back-up emergency phone system I've installed sort of works OK.  The one thing that still concerns me is that the distant mobile mast it connects to did stop functioning during the BT/Plusnet internet service failure recently (presumably this impacted the data links to that mast).  So, although the back up solution works fine in terms of power outages it may not work if there is another widespread BT/Plusnet network outage.  Short of switching to something like Starlink I don't think there's a way around this issue.

nursemorph273
Grafter

Was quite surprised to find out about this phase-out when I went looking at how much longer my contract lasts and then seeing what was available.....how has there been precisely zero publicity surrounding this change from anywhere at all...not even in the media. Just amazing.

I've been reading through this thread and am a bit confused:

If I sign up to a new PN contract (that clearly doesn't have any VOIP capability), then all I need to do is sign up with a VOIP service and that's it?

Where do I plug my telephone into given the Hub 2 doesn't have a socket for it to plug into? Is there some sort of adapter? Do I need a new router?

How do I know if my contract is including SOGEA (as seemed to be mentioned earlier, this is a pre-requisite for VOIP?)

I have a pretty good tech understanding compared to the average person but I am just confused by all this. I've been with Plusnet for 16 years and don't want to go anywhere, especially given my main email is a PN one. I'm starting to think I need to spend the next 7 months (when my contract renews) trying to migrate all of my email stuff to my Gmail account (which would probably be upwards of 100 websites etc so not simple) and then switch provider

HPsauce
Pro

The main question would be "Do you want to retain your existing landline number?". And you you want to keep any existing telephone equipment, if so what?

If not, you could sign up for VOIP now with your preferred provider with a new number, usually you can get one on the same exchange code. Some suppliers can/do provide a necessary handset, base station or adapter.

I chose to keep some old DECT/GAP handsets and purchased (as recommended here) a Gigaset base station model that has both BT landline and ethernet/VOIP capability, but that's just where I happen to be now. My base station is located very close to my BT master socket and Plusnet Hub One router so cabling is short and simple.

If you want to retain your number someone more knowledgeable than me probably needs to summarise the various comments made about that. I probably will in due course but my exchange is nowhere on the FTTP list and I'm still on pure copper ADSL/POTS.

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

@nursemorph273 

"I'm starting to think I need to spend the next 7 months (when my contract renews) trying to migrate all of my email stuff to my Gmail account (which would probably be upwards of 100 websites etc so not simple) and then switch provider"

It is probably not a bad idea to start doing that anyway - at last then, when your contract does come up for renewal you will be in a position to have a choice of provider, and not stuck with Plusnet because of the email.

I know that it is a big task, and will take a long time to complete - I did it 4 years ago when I was with BT Broadband and all my online accounts were tied to my @btinternet.com email. It was my "project" during the first Covid lockdown!

By the time that I joined Plusnet in 2022, they had stopped providing email services to new customers.

MixerBIscuit
Dabbler

I have just started giving a  bit of thought to the subject of VOIP and am somewhat confused to say the least. The switch off date ot the PSTN network is at present given as Dec2025, which is all well and good. The biggest probelm is the actual effective switch off date for the subscriber is the date when the broadband contract comes up for renewal and you cannot renew the home phone contract and you will instantly loose the phone service. Is this a correct overview of what is happening. So  given that the broadband and home phone services are on different contracts BB 18months  HP 1 month. Is it possible to go to a VOIP service and port your existing number without breaking the terms of the broadband contract or loosing the broadband service. any guidance would be appreciated..... I can see this one ending up on TV and in Westminster as well........

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

The biggest probelm is the actual effective switch off date for the subscriber is the date when the broadband contract comes up for renewal and you cannot renew the home phone contract and you will instantly loose the phone service.

@MixerBIscuit No, at present you can renew your contract on the same product , including home phone. What is not possible is to change product.

So  given that the broadband and home phone services are on different contracts BB 18months  HP 1 month.

Broadband and basic home phone service are on the same contract. Its only home phone call plans that are on 1 mnth contract.

Is it possible to go to a VOIP service and port your existing number without breaking the terms of the broadband contract or loosing the broadband service. any guidance would be appreciated.....

No, if you port your existing phone number it will cease the broadband

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 50

@nursemorph273 

Have a look at A&A for VOIP. Apart from reasonable prices they have good FAQ pages on the subject to give you some idea of what's what. They also know what they're doing with "ceased" lines and are happy to arrange a manual port (their automatic system will fail in the first instance).

https://www.aa.net.uk/voice-and-mobile/voip-information/

Remember VOIP doesn't work during power cuts. For phone use you may need an Analogue Telephone Adaptor (ATA).

Brian