Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phasing out home phones

JSHarris
Aspiring Pro

Re: Phasing out home phones

@HPsauce 

I bought a Grandstream HT802 (has two Ethernet ports) but the single Ethernet port version, the HT801, is probably all most need.

As a word of caution be careful with regard to some of the cheap Cisco ATAs for sale, as many are older legacy models that have some firmware security concerns.  I got caught out - I bought a cheap Cisco SPA 112 only to later discover it's vulnerable to being hacked.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 408

@HPsauce 

I didn't know about the Gigaset unit, that is a good call.  I've plenty of GAP DECT handsets

Some of the functionality of the N300 e.g contact directory transfer between handsets and handset to handset calls is only available with Gigaset handsets but standard GAP ones have the basics to make and accept calls and often have the ability to store their own contacts. Configuration of the base unit is via its web gui.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

hirot36
Dabbler

So I took the decision to go to the slightly cheaper PN fibre option and as my current contract only had a short period to run I guessed that prices would only go up. New 2 year contract put in place and I contacted my VOIP company to port my number and had I read properly a previous comment I would have ported my number first.

Oops. So I had to ring PN and re-instate the old contract and am now giving it a couple of days to make sure all is back to normal and I will get the number ported to Voip and then change my PN contract.

As for Voip back ups I think a satellite phone would be the only answer, albeit an expensive option. However, I guess the problem is if the person you are trying to contact has a power cut, eg an emergency service, then you won't get through. Similarly you might have a mobile signal but if the towers broadband is out then the call won't work.

I guess its all part of lifes rich tapestry.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@hirot36 and had I read properly a previous comment I would have ported my number first.

Where did you see that ? its wrong.

Oops. So I had to ring PN and re-instate the old contract and am now giving it a couple of days to make sure all is back to normal and I will get the number ported to Voip and then change my PN contract.

I'm assuming you are currently on Unlimited Fibre (or Extra) with a phone service ? Porting the number to voip WILL cease your existing services and cancel the account.

You need to change product to Fibre (SoGEA) without a phone service first. This ceases the landline and puts the number into quarantine, you then have 30 days to port the number. This way the port won' affect your broadband service

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

hirot36
Dabbler

MisterW that makes it a bit complicated.

Yes I am on an Unlimited fibre contract with a landline and my VOIP provider told me that once the contract is terminated the landline number is "ceased" and goes into the "echo Plus" system....and doesn't come out again. PN also confirmed this and were happy to re-instate the Unlimited contract whilst I ported the number. I could then start a new contract.

At the moment there appears to be a choice, both of which appear to suggest I loose the landline number.

I new that going to Fibre only would loose the landline and that I had 30 days before the number was ceased, however what to do next is a bit of a guess. I had spoken with PN before doing any of this and they told me to contact the VOIP supplier after termination and basically they had no idea how it worked.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

my VOIP provider told me that once the contract is terminated the landline number is "ceased" and goes into the "echo Plus" system....and doesn't come out again.

Never heard of the Echo plus system!. When a landline is ceased it is now returned to the 'rangeholder' i.e the company that originally allocated the number and should now under the 'right to port' regs be available to port to another provider for up to 30 days before being lost. Prior to the 'right to port' , the number was 'held' by the losing CP for 14 days, during which it was not available to any other provider, after that it was returned to the RH and it may have been possible to port under some circumstances.

I had spoken with PN before doing any of this and they told me to contact the VOIP supplier after termination and basically they had no idea how it worked.

If you mean PN had no idea than that's to be expected, they are not involved in (or responsible for) anything to do with porting the number, its the responsibility of the gaining provider.

If you mean the VOIP supplier had no idea, then I suggest you choose another supplier because they should know how porting works!

In a nutshell there are two problems at the moment :-

1) Conflicting and sometimes incorrect information is being given by agents. This is being discussed and addressed as we speak...

2) Some voip providers haven't adjusted to the 'right to port' system and are still insisting that number MUST be active to be ported. Yes, sometimes their automated systems are rejecting ports BUT when the port is effected manually it is accepted.

hirot36
Dabbler

MisterW. Thanks for that, you were right and I hopefully have it sorted.

Spoke at length with the Voip provider who thought I had already cancelled the contract which is where all the misunderstanding happened.

I sort out the contract again tomorrow and 2-3 days before the change over date I will contact the Voip people to ask them to port the number over.

Whew

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

2-3 days before the change over date I will contact the Voip people to ask them to port the number over.

just make sure they don't request the port until the changeover date

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 3

@MisterW Some of the functionality of the N300 e.g contact directory transfer between handsets and handset to handset calls is only available with Gigaset handsets but standard GAP ones have the basics to make and accept calls and often have the ability to store their own contacts. Configuration of the base unit is via its web gui.

Thanks for that, none of those constraints concern me, so I've just ordered one (Unused "open box") and will see what I can do with it.

Initially I'll just to see how to set it up and use on my POTS line. If it all looks sensible I'll then get a number from A&A.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@HPsauce  this might be useful to you - A&A configuration for Gigaset N300  👍

When you get your N300, I'd recommend first checking the time and date have synchronised correctly, and doing a firmware update before doing the full setup or linking the DECT handsets, even for just POTS usage.

Just hit the Update firmware button

Screenshot 2024-01-17 at 22-43-05 Firmware Update N300A IP.png

HPsauce
Pro

My Gigaset N300IP base station arrived this morning.

I set it up and connected to the web interface, it seemed quite slow and some functions didn't load in a sensible timeframe.

So, as recommended by @Anonymous I did a firmware update and it's working fine, though some pages are still quite slow to load. Changed the PIN too (after a long rummage to find out where to do it!)

Plugged it into the phone line too and did a bit of basic configuration. Left the IP side alone apart from turning off any Gigaset services.

I picked a random spare DECT handset, de-registered it from the relevant base and registered it to the N300; only problem was finding where in the menus to do that! (Settings, Management, Miscellaneous). It makes and receives calls, ringing in the same timescale as handsets on the other base station.

I'm just wondering if there is any sort of iPhone App for Gigaset relevant to this, for any/all of admin, POTS calls or IP calls?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I'm just wondering if there is any sort of iPhone App for Gigaset relevant to this, for any/all of admin, POTS calls or IP calls?

@HPsauce there's nothing related to the Gigaset unit I'm afraid. In terms of IP calls, once you have a voip account, then there's plenty of Apps available to make/receive IP calls on your account. I tend to use Zoiper , there is an Ios version https://www.zoiper.com/en/products/zoiperios but I've never used it (I'm an Android chap).

In terms of familiarisation with voip at minimal cost/commitment , have a look at https://www.localphone.com/services/voip , you can create an account for outgoing calls free , its Payg with a minimum top-up of £1.  You can register your landline (or any other number you 'own') for use as the outgoing CLI. They can provide incoming numbers at £0.90/month (0.75 one-off setup) but I've never used that facility, I only use them for outgoing calls (both at home & on the office pbx). At home I still have a free Sipgate account with my incoming numbers and the office uses A & A, primarily because they can provide a block of DDI numbers on a single account. Having said that, I do use the free call via SIP id facility to make/receive calls to/from the office and a family member who also has a localphone account.

HPsauce
Pro

Thanks for that @MisterW . 👍

I've now configured 3 DECT handsets (from 2 totally different systems) on the N300, all working fine even 50 metres away at the end of the garden (and the other side of the house from the base!).

I'm also assuming (I'll test this) that the N300 will work fine on POTS without an ethernet cable; that connection only being used for configuration and IP calls. Just thinking about a convenient location at present.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I'm also assuming (I'll test this) that the N300 will work fine on POTS without an ethernet cable; that connection only being used for configuration and IP calls

Never tried it, but I don't see why it wouldnt work. Difficult to change any configuration though...😀

HPsauce
Pro

It works fine without Ethernet/Internet, and the blue light goes off! 😂

Gives me more flexibility for now and I can easily connect it if necessary. 😎