cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thoughts on stability of Full Fibre and speed guarantee's

Mack
Grafter

Thoughts on stability of Full Fibre and speed guarantee's

So I am thinking about re-joining Plusnet after originally leaving simply because BT had full Fibre and PN couldn't offer it Cry .

Anyway so I am now at the end of my contract with BT, and BT have decided they are no longer going to be as accommodating as they once were when it came to renewing contract's and offering good deals to their already existing customer's.

As much of an oxymoron as I realize this is, this lead me to PN. The price is good (albeit without a phone number), and I know PN is solid having roots here as far back as 2004 lol.

But I wonder what is the stability and reliability like of the 500mb connection ? Is the MS nice and ultra low like on BT's main network for gaming ?

But I do wonder how come the speed guarantee is only 275Mb down compared to BT's own 425Mb and also BT's now alter Ego EE which too sets it as 425Mb  ?

9 REPLIES 9
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 405

Re: Thoughts on stability of Full Fibre and speed guarantee's

But I wonder what is the stability and reliability like of the 500mb connection ? Is the MS nice and ultra low like on BT's main network for gaming ?

Both Plusnet and BT (and EE) use exactly the same Openreach product so the stability and reliability will be the same.

But I do wonder how come the speed guarantee is only 275Mb down compared to BT's own 425Mb and also BT's now alter Ego EE which too sets it as 425Mb  ?

Openreach prioritorise a percentage of a connections bandwidth in the event of congestion. Plusnet appear to be using that prioriorised bandwidth in a speed guarantee, whereas I'm not sure where BT/EE are getting their figures. In fact if you look at BT's Stay fast guarantee , its much the same as Plusnets https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/full-fibre/what-is-bt-s-stay-fast-guarantee-for-full-fibre

I've had FTTP from Plusnet for about 3 years now, initially on the FTTP trial on an 80/20 profile, and on the 900/115 product since they lauched the Full Fibre products in 2022. In my experience FTTP always runs at the the provisoned speeds!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

@Mack 

"Is the MS nice and ultra low like on BT's main network for gaming ?"

JOOI, what does "MS" mean in this context please?

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 77

@Mr_Paul 

gamers are obsessed with low latency, so I'd imagine ms is milliseconds

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 50

@Mack 

I've had PN FTTP since late 2017 / early 2018 and have never had a problem with the connection. Was on 40/10 while on the Trial and after PN went commercial I eventually went FF78 (they don't offer 40/10 now).

Always get near advertised speeds. Like wise two of my neighbours who followed my lead.

Brian

Mack
Grafter

@MisterW Thank you for the response Smiley I am aware they all use the same network and are part of the same parent company etc. But I have always mostly known PN to essentially deal with itself as if it was a stand alone company hence the questions.
As for the stay fast guarantee, im not sure whats happening because when looking to buy a new connection from them, they are clearly stating something else (As are EE on their website)image.png

@Mr_Paul In this context its response time / ping.
So the higher the MS on the network, the higher it will be in game which means the slower your actions happen, so when someone in say UAE has an MS of around 170 vs someone in europe with an ms of 12 although the delay doesn't appear to be much, it does have a negative effect if skill, play and the rest are of equal values.
I guess it is commonly referred to as lag.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 405

As for the stay fast guarantee, im not sure whats happening because when looking to buy a new connection from them, they are clearly stating something else (As are EE on their website)

@Mack on your picture only the 500Mb product has different download guaranteed speeds to my link BUT they all have different upload speeds to the guarantee!.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mack
Grafter

@MisterW Indeed. This is why I asked.
I do wonder if the 500mb guarantee on the link you sent is possibly wrong ? or someone messed up the website advertising lol.

catshill1
Grafter

I am not a gamer but I have done the same as you. Moving from BT after contract is up and back with +net (I was with them for dialup and FTTC for many years) now that FTTP is available . Saving a couple of quid a month and the £75 voucher swung it for me. 

Mack
Grafter

@catshill1 I will be honest. I stayed with BT for so long, yes mainly due tot he FTTP but beyond this because price wise they were almost able to match PN when I renewed (Years gone by) and as everything was up and running I am a believer in don't try and fix what is not broken.

Sadly with the whole EE thing BT seem hell bent on trying to break what was working just fine, that and bad experience with EE in the past means I don't care for them.

But I was here all the way back in 2004 and can remember the BT take over and the unease some felt in the forum (myself included), not to mention the use of traffic shaping at the time which I was not a fan of.

Ah such fond memories, being part of the PN Usergroup, forum admin, visiting PN HQ as part of the users FAQ session and a look around.

Its like a life time ago now Smiley