cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catch 22 -How to upgrade to FTTP & port phone number to Sipgate without losing existing PN account ?

FIXED
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Catch 22 -How to upgrade to FTTP & port phone number to Sipgate without losing existing PN a

@daveg6hni wrote:

I don't remember receiving any change notice ?

Probably because as an existing Sipgate 'free' customer, nothing changed ?

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 50

Re: Catch 22 -How to upgrade to FTTP & port phone number to Sipgate without losing existing PN a

@daveg6hni 

If I remember correctly (and I may be wrong) you're not allowed to add or change your free Sipgate account. If you want to add another number then it would be a new account with whatever charges apply.

Brian

Batfrog
Rising Star

@ daveg6hni You could try ‘Virtual Landline’. There is no charge for number porting. However, I believe if you port it out again or cancel the rolling monthly contract in less than 6 months there is a charge of £50. In my case the porting took 11 days (I think ?)

In addition they have an all calls (inc mobile) for £8.75 pcm. There are no other hidden costs. Works for me !

daveg6hni
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@bmc Just logged into Sipgate again to double check that adding 1 new number was still free, which appears to be...

3 numbers would be £5.94 per month & a block of 10 is £11.94 pm although it also says a block is not currently available, not that I want a block.

I think my only solution is to pause the upgrade to FTTP with PN and checkout all these alternative VOIP services until I find one that like A&A will port my number after I've upgraded.

daveg6hni
Rising Star

I meant to add...

Or I've updated everyone that has my existing BT phone number to use my Sipgate number and lose my old BT number, which is by far the cheapest option.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@daveg6hni wrote:

I think my only solution is to pause the upgrade to FTTP with PN and checkout all these alternative VOIP services until I find one that like A&A will port my number after I've upgraded.

I don't know if BT are upgrading their 'phone only'  customers to digital phone yet but remember that if/when BT decide to update your phone to digital this will automatically trigger the cancellation of all your Plusnet services, with the immediate loss of your email and web space.

If I were in yoiur place I would update to Plusnet FTTP, hence, as I understand it, safeguard your add ons. If necessary port the landline number to A & A until it is no longer needed. A & A contracts are monthly so it's not an expensive process.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Baldrick1 wrote:

I don't know if BT are upgrading their 'phone only'  customers to digital phone yet ...

I've not seen any updates on the timescales since this - BT Publish UK Regional Rollout Schedule for Digital Voice 

daveg6hni
Rising Star

@Baldrick1 Oh dear, that's a good point you make, if I was at all paranoid I could easily think that PN & BT are conspiring to make me lose all my add ons and or existing phone number...

It looks like I have little choice then but to upgrade to FTTP keeping my existing add ons as you suggest.

Anonymous
Not applicable

... which is OK assuming that you have any faith that BT aren't going to close Plusnet down in the near future 🙄

daveg6hni
Rising Star

@Anonymous  Smiley That is always a risk, PN's add-ons have been reducing ever since BT bought them out !

When I first had my Force9 account (1999) not only did I have 250Mb webspace, email, free Static IP, but also a free VOIP account and a free Fax to email account. Nowadays you don't get any of those if you are a new user !

Anyhow I have NOW committed to upgrading to FTTP and will look at A&A once connected.

Thanks for everybody's help & advise.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@daveg6hni 

I was also started on Force9 in 1999, using all those goodies including webspace, VoIP,  /30 static IP block, etc

and like you watched the features dwindle to almost nothing (or never maintained), and Plusnet TV, Business, Mobile, etc disappear.

I still don't have Openreach FTTP planned for my area, and wanted to upgrade my FTTC+landline to SoGEA+VoIP before the rush of PSTN switch-off migrating customers.  I also had the complication that I had different providers for phone and broadband, and having considered all the options with my greater than average technical requirements, my only option was to simultaneously move both to A&A - and haven't regretted a thing !

Good luck with your Plusnet FTTP upgrade !,  what speed have you chosen ?

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 50

@daveg6hni 

Look at A&A now so you're ready to make the number port asap after FTTP is up and running. Remember you only have 30 days.

Do let us know how it all goes.

Brian

daveg6hni
Rising Star

@Anonymous  Thanks I have gone for upto 145Mbps as it was only £1 more than upto 74, but I didn't see the £43 pm after 24 months until after I committed. So note in diary to renegotiate in 24 months or drop back to 74.

I am some 800m from my BT box and my current FTTC speed has dropped from a constant 37Mbps in before 2019 down to 29Mbps and often slower depending on the weather, so the main reason is to just have a stable connection.

It was a surprise to me too that it was available as every time I had queried it with Openreach they just said before 2026 !

As it happens I have quite a few referrals so not paying all that much at present Smiley 

I was expecting PN to open a ticket and I was going to remind them about my static IP, but that seems to be another change as they haven't opened one yet and I could find no way to open a new ticket ?

@bmc Yep 30 days acknowledged

Anonymous
Not applicable

@bmc wrote:

Look at A&A now so you're ready to make the number port asap after FTTP is up and running.

When I signed up for VoIP with A&A, I filled in the online form one evening and made a 'test' bank payment for them to verify my payment details.  Soon after I was emailed all the A&A account details needed to login to their web 'console'.

The next morning I configured my Gigaset VoIP N300A DECT base-station with the A&A VoIP settings, and could immediately see on my device that the VoIP was synced with the A&A servers, and in the A&A web 'console' it showed details of my device and that it was all working correctly - albeit without an associated phone number yet.

I then had to wait the Ofcom compulsory ten day anti-slamming delay period, before my landline number could be ported from 'Pulse8' to A&A's VoIP.  Everything went to plan, was very little effort, and was no hassle at all.

I happened to switch on the busiest day ever, 5th September 2023 - the last day ever that it was possible to move PSTN suppliers !

Given that my transfer was so quick and smooth on the worst day, I wouldn't be too bothered about signing up with A&A before your FTTP install is complete.  You might as well be sure that the FTTP is up and working, rather than signing up beforehand with A&A, and providing a guess at when the FTTP install might complete and hope that Openreach don't miss their install date, etc.

daveg6hni
Rising Star

@Anonymous yes I have a tab open with A&A ready and waiting Smiley

That's a coincidence I have a Gigaset N300A too so I might come back for the settings if I get stuck Smiley

I also have a Fritz!Box 7590 router which has VOIP too as I like to have backups for all my services.