Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disconnecting every morning

rockposer
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Disconnecting every morning

For the last four mornings my internet connection has dropped out at roughly the same time for around a minute - minute & a half. The first time it happened Spotify kept playing which I put down to its buffer. When the connection 'dropped' this morning I started Spotify and it started streaming even though I apparently had no internet on any of my devices, most of which are hard wired.

When the connection 'returns' it is then stable for the rest of the day with the upload/download speeds I normally get.

I responded to Plusnet's question on Twitter / X where I had to raise the issue and heard nothing more from them for nearly 24 hours!

26 REPLIES 26
Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

Re: Disconnecting every morning

@rockposer 

When this happens, does the light on the router, (assuming Plusnet Hub2?), change colour?

rockposer
Rising Star

I don't use Plusnet's hub. I use a Openreach modem & Asus router. The lights don't go out on the modem nor do I get the red no connection light on the router.

I have just got off the phone with Plusnet and after some toing and throwing they say it's the modem that's faulty. Seems a tad odd seeing as this only happens around the same time and rest of the day it's fine. They wanted to send me a Plusnet Hub but that's of no use to me unless you can set it to modem only mode.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 258

but that's of no use to me unless you can set it to modem only mode.

You can.

John
rockposer
Rising Star

You'd of thought that Plusnet would of advised that during the phone call this morning. Instead they told me to go buy a new modem 😞

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 258

First-line advisors tend to work to a script, they don't have in-depth knowledge.

John
rockposer
Rising Star

I'm still not convinced it is the modem that's at fault. If it is faulty then only halting some internet traffic at the roughly the same time every day is rather odd.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 77

@rockposer 

What time of day are these disconnects? 

Which Asus model? Are you able to view the log file of the Asus to determine what is disconnecting?

rockposer
Rising Star

Roughly between 8am & 9am. It's an Asus RT-AC3200. Looked at the log and it's not something I really understand if I'm honest.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

When the connection is in it's disconnected state have you checked the Asus status page, does the router think it's still connected?

You say you mostly have wired devices, if you have more than four how do others connect to the router?

Obviously, you've rebooted every !

rockposer
Rising Star

Yes the router and the modem still show they're connected. I have a couple of switches connected to the router. I have re-booted everything.

The connection 'dropped out' again ten minutes ago and yet could still play online on my Xbox.

So that's Xbox & Spotify not affected. Seems to me it's some sort of routing issue outside of my network.

rockposer
Rising Star

I actually ran the Microsoft diagnostic and got this result 

Network.png

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

How is the disconnect presenting itself, error message, do you have an example?

Do you see the same issue with wireless devices?

Have you checked to see if your connection is preforming as expected, during the event is there any network activity, uploads, cloud saves?

Are you using plusnet DNS or something else.

rockposer
Rising Star

On PC and laptops, the PC is hard wired, the WiFi / Network symbol changes to the globe symbol and you are unable to use web browsers and in my wife's case Teams.

As I said earlier, during the event both Spotify & Xbox online gaming are working fine as is Netflix.

No idea regarding DNS, I've not changed any connection settings since we moved here 5 years ago, and this is the first issue we've had. Speeds, both upload & download are fine.

And since this morning there have been no further issues, same as previous days.

rockposer
Rising Star

Same thing yet again this morning, I have a new modem being delivered today from Amazon, however I've changed the DNS settings in the router and will see if that fixes things.