Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Banded / DLM Reset?

bengutt
Dabbler

Banded / DLM Reset?

Hi,

My broadband dropped speed last year after we had some electrical work down. This involved turning the household power off and on multiple times over a day of two. I didn't think to unplug my router at the time.

I've seen on other posts that this can cause issues with banding and requires a DLM reset. How do I go about getting this done to see if my speed improves?

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Banded / DLM Reset?

Hi there, 

I've checked over your connection and it seems to be dropping out quite frequently so we'll need to get that fixed first before DLM can bring the speeds back up. 

Have you noticed the router lights flashing orange at all?

Adam - Plusnet Sheffield

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
bengutt
Dabbler

Hi,

I may not have been helping things as we've been turning the router off a few times over the last week or so for some work that needed doing.

I've had one drop off that I can confirm wasn't me that was around 2pm yesterday (Tuesday). I did notice on my DSL Status screen (Now I've been monitoring it) that the SNR Margin slowly dropped from 9 to 2 until it dropped off. It came back at 9 and has been sitting between 8 and 9 since then. The attainable rate floats between 76427 and 78666

I've not fiddled with it since then and will leave it for a few days. I do need to switch it off again at some point for the work to be completed, but I can put them off for a few days to see if it me or the system.

There is a new company supplying FTTP who have been working on the telegraph poles, cabinets and ducts in the area for the last month or so as well, so there could be disruption from that?

ClaudiaG23
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 23

Hi @bengutt  I've run a test again on your line and unable to find a fault and I can see the drops in the connection are very few now. 

Please get back in touch if you do feel there is still an issue and we can look into this further for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Claudia Garner
 Plusnet Help Team
bengutt
Dabbler

I've changed out the cable from the socket to the router and things have been a lot more stable now, I'm not seeing anywhere near the number of CRC errors previously. It's been up for nearly 25 days without dropping.

I still seem to be stuck at slower speeds than in the past though, both up and down, do I need to wait longer to see an improvement or does something need to be done at Plusnet's side?

bengutt
Dabbler

@ClaudiaG23 

My connection has been up for 41 days so far, and has remained at slower speeds than I was previously getting.

Will the rate change by itself? Does it need something changing by plusnet? Or should I just restart my router?

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Hi @bengutt 

I've tried requesting a DLM reset on the line for you

Hopefully you'll see a change in the next 24 hours

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

@bengutt 

Which router are you using?

If it is a Plusnet Hub One (a BTHH5a in different colours) then consider running the special version of router stats (see the link below) to keep an eye on the SNRM figures.  The variability you reported is unusual and could indicate RFI - running router stats 24x7 could be helpful.  Sample rate should be 10 second intervals, with 720 plots (2 hours) per graph.  Only need to look at the SNRM plot.

Should if you need help configuring that.

The standard product works with other routers, but not the PN Hub Two.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bengutt
Dabbler

The reset seems to have done the job. My connection is now 79,179 down and 20,000 up. SNR isn't great at 5 down and 6 up, but it seems to be ok so far. It's been up for 4 days and speed tests are showing a significant improvement.

I'm using a Draytek Vigor2860, so the links there don't work for me, but I can get some decent stats out the router.

Thanks for sorting!

willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 99

Awesome glad to hear it. Let me know if you need anything else.

Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

On the basis that the US & DS are at the product’s maximums, the SNRM is what it is and is of no material concern. Indeed they are ideal for best stability.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bengutt
Dabbler

It's been pretty solid with no issues at all since the reset. Until now.

I'm getting a very poor connection with a high number of CRC errors. Connection to my work VPN is unusable, and using speedtest.net I'm getting upload speeds reported at 5mbs.

https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ has just reported a download of 25.62 with an upload of 17.89. Images on the plusnet website have just downloaded like it's dialup.

Any Pointers on what I can try?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Sight of the router stats / metrics would be helpful please.

bengutt
Dabbler

Is this any good?

ATU-R Information

Type: VDSL2
         Hardware: Annex A
         Firmware: 05-07-06-0D-01-07
         Power Mngt Mode: DSL_G997_PMS_L0
         Line State: SHOWTIME
         Running Mode: 17A
         Vendor ID: 00000000 00000000

ATU-C Information

Vendor ID: b5004946 544eb206 [IFTN]

Line Statistics

Downstream             Upstream                
Actual Rate 73999 Kbps 18999 Kbps
Attainable Rate 78768 Kbps 22530 Kbps
Path Mode Fast Fast
Interleave Depth 1 1
Actual PSD 4. 9 dB 5. 0 dB

Near End                  Far End                   
Trellis ON ON
Bitswap ON ON
ReTx 0   1  
SNR Margin 7 dB 6 dB
Attenuation 14 dB 16 dB
CRC 285 159762
FECS 0 s 7962371 s
ES 103 s 76975 s
SES 73 s 975 s
LOSS 0 s 417 s
UAS 40 s 34111 s
HEC Errors 0 0
RS Corrections 0 0
LOS Failure 0 0
LOF Failure 4 0
LPR Failure 0 0
NCD Failure 0 0
LCD Failure 0 0
NFEC 255 32
RFEC 16 16
LYSMB 5134 16
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Thank you - really useful stats / metrics.

Looks like there are a lot of US errors.  There's no harm in raising a fault report.